CD drive doesn't work

Reaction score
I can't get my CD drive to work. I can not play CDs or install new software because the CD drive does not respond. The drive does work because I can use it to watch DVDs, but when I try to play a music or informational CDs it does not read or respond. It just ejects it after approx. 10-15 sec. Any ideas? Personally, it wouldn't matter, except that I just purchased a D-link wireless router, but can't actually use it because I can't install the software due to this CD drive problem. I wonder it may not be an issue with iTunes because I remember being able to listen to CDs before I started using itunes.
Sorry for posting in wrong forum.
Thanks

Reaction score
The only time I've had something similar to what you describe was with protected cds. I'd insert such a cd and it'd eject after a few seconds. Does the problem you describe happen with every cd?

It also sounds like you recently upgraded iTunes. Did you repair permissions after that update? According to Apple, occasionally the user permissions associated with files or applications become damaged, which can prevent a file or application from working as it should. See this article. So, you might want to try to run Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). Open the application, select the mounted volume for your hard drive and click "repair disk permissions."

Reaction score
I can't get my CD drive to work. I can not play CDs or install new software because the CD drive does not respond. The drive does work because I can use it to watch DVDs, but when I try to play a music or informational CDs it does not read or respond. It just ejects it after approx. 10-15 sec. Any ideas? Personally, it wouldn't matter, except that I just purchased a D-link wireless router, but can't actually use it because I can't install the software due to this CD drive problem. I wonder it may not be an issue with iTunes because I remember being able to listen to CDs before I started using itunes.
Sorry for posting in wrong forum.
Thanks
Hello, It's still possible for your drive to be bad even if you're able to watch DVD's. The drives that Apple uses leave a lot to be desired and have very short life spans. I always recommend using these drives as little as possible and using external drives instead. The Superdrive on my eMac only lasted a year and now has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it don't. Anyway, for the time being, have a friend burn the software to your D-Link wireless router on a DVD and see if that works. :)

Ask a Question