Catalina

Reaction score
Problem with Apple
I had an 8 month old iMac on NO AUTO UPGRADES, yet without
Problem with Apple
I had an iMac on NO AUTO UPGRADES, yet without warning , in middle of night, it upgraded to Catalina. There was no mention of it going from 32 bit to 64 bit , so all my 32 bit programs including all my paid for Microsoft Office became nonfunctional. Couldn’t go back to old OS and reinstall and my .docx are gone. Plus my MP4’s that were video recorded by an expensive video software program.
Thanks apple for your planned obsolescence !!!!
o all my 32 bit programs including all my paid for Microsoft Office became nonfunctional. Couldn’t go back to old OS and reinstall and my .docx are gone. Plus my MP4’s that were video recorded by an expensive video software program.
Thanks apple for your planned obsolescence !!!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, I have never heard of this issue previously. Catalina can automatically download from the App Store if you have automatic updates enabled, but it will not automatically install regardless of settings. Going from Mojave to Catalina is an upgrade, not an update. macOS installers requires you to manually continue and proceed.

Not sure how that happened - do you have anyone else living with you that could have clicked Continue?

There are long and drawn out ways to revert to an older version like Mojave, but they require completely erasing the hard drive, creating a bootable installer, and restoring your data from a Time Machine or other backup.

-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-What version of OS X/macOS were you on previously?
-Which version of Microsoft Office were you running?
-Which video software did you make the videos with?

Please don't post the same issue in other member's threads. We will be happy to deal with your issue directly here. Thank you!

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
I willingly UPGRADED to Catalina, assuming I could revert to a previous OS if I didn't like it. I too had major app failures. I lost my perfectly functioning MS Office 2008 for Mac (I like Word and Excel better than Pages and Numbers) and was only offered MS Office 365 and an annual fee. My iPhotos went to Photos and I lost 20% of my pictures in the migration. I spent weeks trying to follow online instructions how to revert. None worked.

I understand why the old apps stopped working. 32 bit to 64 bit apps, etc. But I'm still PISSED about it. I ended up buying a new Mac Mini
that was under-powered (My fault - it was apparently intended for Cloud users) and returned it (Amazon is generous sometimes), bought a 1TB Mac mini with better everything, and am still having trouble migrating.

Yes, I had Time Machine backups. And I was using High Sierra.

So, you are saying that for Time Machine to work, I have to erase the new Mac disk and restore from there?

Reaction score
I read and replied. Thank you for the reply there. But for information, I read on a site that Catalina will automatically install if you click on the Apple logo and click on "about this Mac" in some situations. Numerous users were complaining. Sadly, I do not have the url. It was on the previous mac I can't start because of the wine spill. It is probably there in the browser history, but I can't get at it.

Ask a Question