Catalina Woes

mudge

Reaction score
Hi all, My iMac was happily running Mojave until I followed the Update suggestion a few days ago and installed Catalina, OS 15.1.
This appears to have been a big mistake. Several programs I relied on-- Firefox, Word, Onyx, and others-- are inoperative under Catalina.
How exactly do I UNINSTALL Catalina and get back to Mojave? Thanks, Ch.S.

Ad

Advertisements

oldscribe

Reaction score
Hello,

To recover your Mac to a earlier version of the Mac OS using Time Machine:

But before you do this backup again.;)
  1. Plug your Time Machine disk into your Mac.
  2. Now restart your Mac.
  3. Hold down Command + R until the Apple logo appears.
  4. When the options appear on screen, choose Restore From Time Machine Backup click Continue.
  5. The next screen should say restore from Time Machine, so click Continue.
  6. Now, select your Restore module IE device you use for TM.
  7. The next screen shows all your backups over time, pick the last one you made prior to upgrading to the newer version of the Mac OS.

37Shannon

Reaction score
Hi all, My iMac was happily running Mojave until I followed the Update suggestion a few days ago and installed Catalina, OS 15.1.
This appears to have been a big mistake. Several programs I relied on-- Firefox, Word, Onyx, and others-- are inoperative under Catalina.
How exactly do I UNINSTALL Catalina and get back to Mojave? Thanks, Ch.S.
Rule Number 1 for ANY operating system, not just OS X:

1) Always make a bootable backup or image first. This is easy to do on a MAC using software like SuperDuper; on Windows, the best you can do is take an image. Then, if you get in trouble, you either boot off the bootable backup on a MAC, or boot your recovery disk in Windows and restore the image.

Then, Rule Number 2:

2) Always do a clean install. I have never seen any upgrade work without problems either in OS X or Windows. The concept of backward compatibility does not seem to exist in the OS X/Windows/UNIX environment.

Yes, you will have to reinstall your apps, recreate your folder structures, recopy your files and recustomize your UI, but although this is somewhat tedious, it beats the heck out of trying to guess your way through troubleshooting a bad upgrade.

Ad

Advertisements

mudge

Reaction score
The backup-from-Time-Machine method worked beautifully, thanks for that!
I now have a new problem... see new thread, about getting the startup volume journaled... Thanks!

Ask a Question