OS upgrade to Catalina?

Reaction score
I have just acquired brand spanking new (2019) iMac 27" Retina display machine with 8 Gig of RAM and a 2 Terabyte Fusion drive. Hardware attached is minimal, an external 1 terabyte HD, and a large Tracker Ball for days when my Parkinson's gets the better of my hands. System software is Mojave 10.14.6. My question is, is it wise to upgrade the OS as I am being offered an upgrade to "Catalina". Normally I would upgrade without a thought, but as I am new to this machine and as its been a long time since I used a Mac I thought I'd be a bit more cautious and ask you fine and wise folk for your advice. My thanks, in advance. :)

Reaction score
Do you have any 32bit apps on the iMac? Catalina does not support 32bit.
If you have no 32bit apps it is pretty safe to upgrade.

Reaction score
Thanks. Hmmm, how do I find out about the 32bit thing? Sorry, a bit non-tech here. Will look into it.

Reaction score
Go64 is a good app for this
Alternatively click the apple logo in the top left , go to 'About this mac' > 'System report' >'Software' > 'Legacy software'

Reaction score
Go64 is a good app for this
Alternatively click the apple logo in the top left , go to 'About this mac' > 'System report' >'Software' > 'Legacy software'
It says "No information found"? I have installed Malwarebytes, and Adblocker, Adobe Flash and Electric Sheep (Screensaver)

Reaction score
I'll leave it till morning! If I do it now and things go tits-up I'll end up not sleeping tonight. Thanks for the help and advice. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Very quick and easy upgrade, unlike Windows which was a nightmare. Thanks for the help and advice peeps :)

Ask a Question