SOLVED Upgrade software from 32 to 64 bits

Reaction score
Hello all,

My Mac - with macOS Mojave 10.14.5 - warns me now and then to update/upgrade the Epson Scanner Monitor from 32 to 64 bits. My Epson is an XP-540, bought a few months ago.

Using Epson Software Updater I get the message : 'Your software is up to date'

Checking via [Apple symbol] -> About this Mac -> System report -> Software -> Applications and Legacy Software, I find however that e.g. Epson Scanner Monitor and Event Manager still 'are 32 bit'.

What should I do? Maybe Seiko->Epson has no 64 bit versions yet for these?

Thanks in advance for your answers! Dirk

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Basically, Apple has announced that developers that they need to have their apps updated to full 64-bit for macOS 10.15, which will be announced at WWDC this summer. High Sierra was the last version of macOS that runs 32-bit apps without compromise. Mojave still runs them, but they aren't optimized to take advantage of some of the new system technologies.

At this point, we are all at the mercy of the developers, and have to wait for them to update their builds. Many third-party applications and system components have been updated already, but not all. From what I have seen, many of the printer/scanner drivers and software are 32-bit still, so if Epson states you have the latest, then they haven't made the updates yet. You can safely ignore the warning for now.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory. It's what I thought could be one of the possible reasons. You confirmed it. I think many worried Mac'-ers will profit from your statement! Dirk

Ask a Question