OSX 10.2 to 10.4 upgrade - software cannot be installed!

Reaction score
:confused:

Hi all!

I'm a complete newbie here, and although I am a IT techie for PCs and own an Apple Mac, the following problem has got me stumped:

The machine in question is a Powerbook G4 titanium
The installed OS X is 10.2.1

I've tried to install the printer software for an HP laser printer, but at the end of the installation, I get the message "the software has been installed, but with errors - please run the installation again".
In fact, once the printer is connected via USB, the powerbook "sees" the printer, but they aren't on speaking terms.

Since I guessed that the OS X version might not support the printer software, I have tried to upgrade the OS X to 10.4.2, for which I possess the original installation disks. But as soon as I'm past the first few screens where you key in the language settings, the installation stops and the message is "this software cannot be installed on this machine".

I don't have another set of disks and I don't want to rush out and buy the newest Tiger version if in fact the trouble isn't with the disks.

Does anyone know where the problem might be?

Reaction score
Hi Ric!

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your reply.

The printer is an HP LaserJet 1020.

I can't believe that HP support just sent me the installation disk for Windows!!!!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! :eek:

Esther

Reaction score
Just to clarify from the last message, the HP installation disk I've been using to try to install the printer software is for Apple Mac, but I contacted HP and they promised to send me a new installation disk - which has just arrived and is for Windows OSs - fat lot of good that is! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi
I have looked at HP's website and as far as I can see there are no drivers for Mac OS. I'm sure this must be wrong but I can't seem to find them
Regards
Teapot

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

try this, it says its for the 1022 but it should work for the 1020...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question