Catalina's Podcast app.

Reaction score
I can’t play my podcasts in both my iMac and in my HomePod. https://support.apple.com/guide/podcasts/choose-speakers-pod500a9056/mac says I should be able to do so, saying “You can select more than one checkbox to play audio through multiple sources.”, but I can either select “Bedroom” or “Howard Brazee’s Computer (8)”, but not both.

My Music app gives me the choice of “Computer” or “Bedroom”, and I can check both.

I can't figure out how to get rid of podcasts that I have already played that are in my "unplayed" station. In iTunes, they would disappear. But they are still in my unplayed station.

I just hope they fixed the ancient iTunes bug where podcasts that I just downloaded and played yesterday get marked as I haven't played them for a while.

I haven't yet tested to see if I can pause a podcast on my iMac and continue it taking a walk with my Apple Watch.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I didn't forget about this...I have been testing it out with Catalina. I don't have the same issues, as I don't have an Apple Watch or HomePod. I also don't listen to many podcasts. I do have an Apple TV 4K, so I am testing with that.

Will do some more research and get back to you.

C

Reaction score
I created a new "Unplayed" station. It appears to work better. A podcast that I listened to last week showed up (without me opening it on my watch or phone). I couldn't mark it played (I could mark it unplayed). A couple of hours later it disappeared from that station.

Reaction score
I checked my wife's Mac. In the Podcasts app she can only switch between her Mac and our HomePod but not both. And in her Music app, she can select both if she desires.

Just like mine.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if it may take a little while for it to sync the play status? Also, I wonder if the Podcast app works differently than Music with AirPlay?

I will continue testing as I mentioned.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Update: I did a little quick testing, and both the Music and Podcasts apps in Catalina do the same - they only allow a single device for playback. But, that may be a limitation of a Mac and an  tv. Maybe it works slightly different with a HomePod.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if it may take a little while for it to sync the play status? Also, I wonder if the Podcast app works differently than Music with AirPlay?

I will continue testing as I mentioned.

C
I created a new station that looks like the one that came across from Mojave, except it works for new podcasts. It does take a while to sync sometimes. I will play a podcast and it stays there but when I look later in the day, it's gone.

Reaction score
Update: I did a little quick testing, and both the Music and Podcasts apps in Catalina do the same - they only allow a single device for playback. But, that may be a limitation of a Mac and an  tv. Maybe it works slightly different with a HomePod.

C
With my HomePod, I can check both my Bedroom and my Computer with the Music app, and the music will play both places (not quite synchronized, but I can walk into the other room and hear it play). But in the Podcasts app, the checkboxes toggle. I can pick one or the other.

Reaction score
Hmm, my "unplayed" station had yesterday's "Science Friday" part 1 but not part 2, which I found by looking in "episodes" (I'm playing it now). It took less than 5 minutes after playing part 1 to have it disappear from "unplayed".

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I can get multiple speakers with a MBP on Mojave in iTunes. I reset a few things, and I can't get Podcasts to do multiple speakers in Catalina, but Music does. It must be the Podcasts app from what I can see.

C

Ask a Question