Catalina installed

Reaction score
At this point I regret installing Catalina on my Macbook Pro mid 2012 13in.
I lost familiar apps and now I am on a new challenge learning the differences.
I downloaded a personal dvdr disc I had made earlier and want to burn new copies. It says online that it IS compatible with Catalina.
However, I downloaded, and got an error message saying it can't be burned because communication between the computer and disc drive failed.
Error code OxFFFFFFFF80020022. ??????
Can anyone give suggestions PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
When you say "downloaded a personal dvdr disc", where did you download it from? Also, I suspect it is not an actual DVD-R media, correct?

I use the latest version of Catalina on both of my Macs, and for my late 2018 Mac Mini, I have a "built myself" external DVD drive connected to one of the USB 3 ports on my hub. I use RipIt! to "burn" CDs and DVDs, and it works fine.

Reaction score
When you say "downloaded a personal dvdr disc", where did you download it from? Also, I suspect it is not an actual DVD-R media, correct?

I use the latest version of Catalina on both of my Macs, and for my late 2018 Mac Mini, I have a "built myself" external DVD drive connected to one of the USB 3 ports on my hub. I use RipIt! to "burn" CDs and DVDs, and it works fine.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.
While in Indonesia, I bought dvd's for children in schools, orphanages, Sunday Schools, etc. When they ran out I copied one and just downloaded them on my computer. It did give that choice - to download or play. Now, with the new install, I am getting the error message??

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.
While in Indonesia, I bought dvd's for children in schools, orphanages, Sunday Schools, etc. When they ran out I copied one and just downloaded them on my computer. It did give that choice - to download or play. Now, with the new install, I am getting the error message??
So you copied the content on the DVD to a media-based file, correct?

Reaction score
I downloaded the DVD and then burned as many as needed to dvdr. Like I would an imovie project. . Is that what you mean by media file. This just always worked, previously.

Reaction score
OK, got it.

Some more questions:

1. What Mac OS were using previously?
2. How did you upgrade? Did you just do it in place, ie, let the machine do the upgrade, with very little (if any) "assistance" from you?
3. What happens if you insert a commercial DVD, or a CD? Does it work?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sierra 10.12.6. I am out of country and in a restaurant with 5G. 1st mistake - did not intend to install but speed was available and did not back up on an external. I did answer a few pop up questions. It downloaded and installed. When I checked later, I found I did have to update specific apps before using. I could not longer use my iphoto. My cocktail could not be updated and is no longer usable. I do watch dvds, but I usually use VLC. That cannot be updated either. Online it says my optical drive should work with Catalina. Maybe I need to do something else? I really am so disappointed to have installed this.

Reaction score
First of all, you skipped both High Sierra and Mojave with that update. Not always a good idea.

Secondly, no backup is a huge No No.

Third, why can't you upgrade Cocktail? Maybe need to pay for such an upgrade (Onyx is completely free). VLC is completely free, so why can't you upgrade it?

Again, have you tried a commercial DVD or CD? For your DVD drive, one would think the OS would have the necessary drivers, as that DVD is inside your Mac.

Last edited:
Reaction score
True on all counts.
I have to purchase a new Cocktail version, so will check out Onyx.
I did check the VLC. They said no update.
I will check further on possible updates on my driver.
Thanks again for all your help.

Reaction score
Onyx does just about the same tasks as Cocktail, and as you can see, it's free. Again, I recommend it highly.

Latest version of VLC is V3.0.11.1:

Is that the version you have? If not, all you need to do is 1) download that latest version, 2) drag the VLC application now on your machine to the Trash, 3) Empty the Trash, and 4) install the new version.

Again, given that you have a SuperDrive, the Mac OS should (logically) contain the necessary drivers.

And for the third time, have you tried inserting a commercial DVD or CD and see whether it can be played?

Reaction score
Onyx does just about the same tasks as Cocktail, and as you can see, it's free. Again, I recommend it highly.

Latest version of VLC is V3.0.11.1:

Is that the version you have? If not, all you need to do is 1) download that latest version, 2) drag the VLC application now on your machine to the Trash, 3) Empty the Trash, and 4) install the new version.

Again, given that you have a SuperDrive, the Mac OS should (logically) contain the necessary drivers.

And for the third time, have you tried inserting a commercial DVD or CD and see whether it can be played?
Yes, I have put in a commercial DVD movie and yes it plays. I have the correct version of Cocktail, but when I fill in the registration #, it will not accept. SO, I downloaded onyx. I suppose I just run the fast check?
What about Toast. My dvd player is not giving me the option to play or download. If I download Roxio Toast Burn, would that work? My VLC is now updated.
This is all eating my brain. I was in a Mac Users group and they were hands on, so they just did everything for us.

Reaction score
Strange behavior about Cocktail.

As for Onyx, I assume you downloaded the version for Sierra. It's been a while since I used that version, as it is different for Catalina. But from a screen shot I found, you should just click on the Maintenance tab at the left-top.

As for Toast not working, again check the version you have, versus newer versions available.

As for "burning" DVDs/CDs, I thought that functionality was already part of Toast. It's been a long time since I used it.

Is VLC now working OK?

Reaction score

As for Onyx, I assume you downloaded the version for Sierra. It's been a while since I used that version, as it is different for Catalina. But from a screen shot I found, you should just click on the Maintenance tab at the left-top.

As for Toast not working, again check the version you have, versus newer versions available.

As for "burning" DVDs/CDs, I thought that functionality was already part of Toast. It's been a long time since I used it.

Is VLC now working OK?

Is VLC now working OK?

Is VLC now working OK?
yes, VLC is working well, but I wasn't having trouble with that app. I installed it for media that is formatted differently. My dvd player now opens automatically when I insert dvd. It still will not give me the option of downloading. I will zap the PRAM next to see if anything changes. I was updating photos and Adobe reader. If PRAM doesn't change anything. I guess I will buy Roxio's toast burn. I downloaded the Onyx for 10.15 and later. Catalina is 10.15. It has 4 choices- maintenance, utilities, files, and parameters. On cocktail I just hit *run* and let it do its thing

Is VLC now working OK?
Also the version of Onyx is 3.8.7

Reaction score
" I downloaded the Onyx for 10.15 and later. Catalina is 10.15"

What? You said you are running Sierra. Why did you download that latest version of Onyx, for Catalina? You cannot run that version with Sierra.

Reaction score
Oh, sorry about that! You had been running Sierra previously. My snafu!

For the Catalina version of Onyx, just click on the Maintenance tab. You'll then get a screen, and click on "Run Tasks". You'll then get a series of questions:

"The computer will need to restart (after Onyx Runs)" - Click Continue
"Warning - Onyx will quit all Applications" - Click Continue

Reaction score
Thanks again for your time and giving me good suggestions. I appreciate it.

Ask a Question