Catalina download

Reaction score
I have Catalina on my iMac. When I try to download Catalina from the App store (to make a bootable disk), it states that an upgrade is not available. How Can I get around this? Thanks. (*_*)

Reaction score
I created a bootable USB installer. I started the install and then once the download had finished and the installation started I pressed 'Command-Q" to halt the install and the Catalina app was in my Applications folder. Not sure if you can do this now that Catalina is installed.
If you know someone with a non Catalina mac, they could do this for you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You cannot use your iPhone to download versions of macOS or any Mac Apps from the App Store.

-Which exact model is your iMac?
-You stated it is currently running Catalina, correct?
-If so, do you still have the Install macOS Catalina file in your Applications folder?
-What is the specific reason you are trying to make a bootable disk with it?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

You cannot use your iPhone to download versions of macOS or any Mac Apps from the App Store.

-Which exact model is your iMac?
-You stated it is currently running Catalina, correct?
-If so, do you still have the Install macOS Catalina file in your Applications folder?
-What is the specific reason you are trying to make a bootable disk with it?

C

Reaction score
2017 iMac. OS 10.15. I tried to open in safe mode in a try to download from there. And now, I can't open in safe mode, using the shift key or com-R. Do I have a virus?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

I doubt you have a virus. I re-read the thread - you stated you are running 10.15, which is Catalina. Are you trying to simply run Software Updates, or download the Catalina installer again?

C

Reaction score
I am trying to download an independent Catalina to make a boot drive. The store states that "an update is unavailable" when I try to download.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Strange it is reporting that...I will look into it when I have access to Catalina machine next week.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I accessed a MBA running Catalina 10.15.1, and this is what I got when attempting to download Catalina:
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 8.16.45 AM.png

I would try updating yours to 10.15.1, then try re-downloading.

C

Reaction score
When I upgrade to Catalina (probably this weekend), I intend to download it, then switch to another window and copy the installation file to a USB card from my applications folder. Then while I am installing Catalina, I will copy the installation file from my USB to my wife's applications folder. That way I only download once, and have it available (to make a boot USB drive for instance).

Reaction score
Unless Apple has changed their policy, once you have installed the new OS on your computer you cannot download the from scratch installer again.

If you want to make a bootable installer you have to download the Catalina installer DMG but decline to upgrade when the upgrade installer immediately launches upon completion of the download. The DMG installer will be in the Applications folder.

At that point, I remove the installer DMG from Applications and put it on flash drive for safe keeping and for building a bootable installer. Once the DMG installer is removed from Applications you can download it again from the Apple store.

joyssl, if you want to make a bootable installer at this point you would either have to find/borrow another Mac that hasn't already been upgraded to Catalina or temporarily rollback your iMac to the OS version installed from the factory.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm on 10.15.1

Once you have an a Mac OS X already installed, the downloaded updates are incremental. They are not a fully functional install from scratch ISO that can be used to create a bootable installer. If you haven't upgraded to Catalina and do so after one or more of the updates to Catalina itself have been released then when you download the Catalina ISO you get the latest full updated version that can be used to build a USB installer.

You will need to find a machine that has not yet upgraded to Catalina. Download the Catalina ISO but cancel the installation. Use that ISO file to build a USB installer. I believe this removes the downloaded ISO from Applications so that you can download it again and proceed with the upgrade to Catalina on the host computer if desired.

Reaction score
As I cannot find another, I tried to download an earlier OS. No luck.

Apple only offers the newest OS X version as a download and then only to those who haven't already installed it. You are out of options unless you can find someone still running Mojave willing to let you download the Catalina ISO. But for the next time around (i.e., Catalina's successor) keep in mind what I shared in the previous post as to how it works.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I saved off my Catalina installation file. If I ever need to install Catalina again, I guess I'll have to start with that, and then upgrade to whatever version is current. I'm also keeping my Mojave installation, which I used to create a small partition just to run one 32-bit program.

Ask a Question