Can't send email through Entourage at work

Reaction score
I have my gmail account routed to my entourage. When I am at work I can receive email but can not send mail through entourage. I can log onto the gmail site and send from there. I utilize a secured wireless connection here, if I plug directly into the network my email will send then. I do not have this problem at home or anywhere else I use the internet.

Also I have email from work that I would like to route to my entourage if someone could help me. I currently check it through an exchange server or on a county owned computer. I would like it to come into my entourage just like my personal email. The problem is that IT will not help me with the SMTP and other settings because my computer is a "personal" commputer vs a county owned machine. Anybody know a way around this??

Reaction score
I have my gmail account routed to my entourage. When I am at work I can receive email but can not send mail through entourage.

Assuming your employer allows for outside connections (any firewalls?) I would re-check the SMTP settings for your account. In Gmail, it's simple. You can find the complete instructions in Gmail settings.

Also I have email from work that I would like to route to my entourage if someone could help me.

Are you using the current version in Entourage (Office 2008)? Check the Help section in Entourage for a step-by-step guide to set up Exchange.

Reaction score
my gmail settings are correct as they work everywhere else just not on the wireless network at work. They even work when plugged directly into a network like at work. I have noticed that the hardwired internet is not restricted in anyway, but the wireless connection is restricted as to which sites you can access.

I am running Entourage 2004

I hve tried setting up an exchange server before but it did not work, i will attempt again.

karazelle

Reaction score
Hi. It might be as simple as your workplace blocking outgoing SMTP traffic on the network. That isn't all that uncommon and as an IT trainer myself something I usually recommend companies implement for security if they have Exchange. It also seems they have a filter in general on the wireless which supports that idea, which is actually a good thing (although not for you) for security.

Does your company use SSL? Most likely you do, one indication is that you need to go to an https address to read webmail. If so, go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/itpros...ent&usid=27927BE7-8B92-A120-BDBB-39E2AF024908

Read from the 2nd paragraph that says "If you plan to deploy SSL...". The document is really for your IT staff, but you can use it as guidelines. While its for 2008 it applies to 2004 as well. Generally to get Exchange working in 2004 you'll usually need to install the trusted root certificate and then configure the account. If you have problems getting a direct connection to the Exchange server you should try using the OWA method.

Remember to try this from a wired connection, as you mentioned the wireless is filtered it helps eliminate headaches and frustration ;) You might also end up in a situation where you'll only get Entourage to work with exchange outside the company, but better than nothing. It's always easier when one can work with IT on situations like this. Although you might want to be careful re company policy about using home computers on the work LAN in general.

Ask a Question