Can't see list of e-mails in "To:" field of e-mail

Reaction score
I often need to send e-mails to our singing group. Sometimes my Mac's e-mail remembers old e-mail and periodically I have to delete what it remembers to make sure it picks up correct e-mail from my Contacts.

In the past, when I enter a list in the "To:" field, it showed the list of name/email destinations. But now, all I see is the name of the list.

How do I see the list before I send it?

Reaction score
If the group is shown in your email but you want to see the contacts instead, click the arrow next to the group name, then choose Expand Group.

Reaction score
I just tested this by starting a new message to a group. I did not see the arrow:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 7.39.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 7.39.18 AM.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 193

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Check this setting in Mail > Preferences
Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 17.08.41.png

Let us know if that is it,

C

Reaction score
That is checked on my computer. I decided to uncheck it and check it again right now, and that didn't fix the problem. I'll uncheck it and reboot and check it, in case there's a bad plist that needs to be overwritten.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK,

Try making a new group and add a couple of addresses. See if the new one works properly.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...

Maybe there is an entry in Mail > Window > Previous Recipients called affinity Singers? If so, try and delete that, then try again.

C

Reaction score
I did that before sending the e-mail when I discovered that I couldn't verify who was on the list. That guaranteed I would use the Contacts list (I think).

Reaction score
So, did you ever solve this problem?
I have one perhaps similar: when I try to send a mail with a lot of addressees, it stopped accepting them after about ten, and then when I tried to fit them in the middle, it dropped another one! I finally gave up and I'm waiting for more stamina to try again.

Reaction score
Someone showed me that I could click Details in the email message and it would list all the addressees. That works for me.

Reaction score
When I am first writing an e-mail, I don't see this option. It's there for an e-mail I receive, but not for one I'm writing.

Reaction score
That worked. I didn't add "a couple of addresses", I added a smart group from my contacts.

One reason I wanted to check to see who it is, is that sometimes Apple's mail program looks in its "Previous Recipients" instead of in contacts, so the list isn't current. (maybe it always looks there first, which is never what I want it to do).

Ask a Question