Cant open file

Reaction score
It says "Cant open file" without any further explaination when I try to open a pages document. All I have in there are tables. When I go on quick look it shows the first 3 pages clearly and the last 3 kinda compressed. What is going on there? I couldnt find the same problem in any other forum. And when it comes to computers I am happy if I know how to use them when there is no problem. Please help me out!

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

What format was this document created with? IE word > Excel etc.

Reaction score
Original by sandra123
All I have in there are tables

Sounds like Numbers re tables, try this open the document and click print then in the new window that opens look to the bottom left corner and select save as PDF. Save to your desktop, once done close the doc and using preview open the PDF, how does it look.
Have to add only time I have heard of this type of issue was when the doc had become corrupted.

Reaction score
i cant open it. if i click on it it says "The document couldnt be opened". If I try to print it without opening it nothing happens. What else can I try? I wouldnt even mind uploading it somewhere to get it fixed. I just need my document back..

Reaction score
oh..i tried sending it to my emailaccount. i can read the information then but if i try to copy it back into pages, the whole table format is gone. Is there a solution for that?

Reaction score
Ok open text edit in your applications folder then copy and paste from your email, do the tables show up now?

EDIT:

I assume you created text blocks in the pages document and then pasted the tables into these blocks.

Reaction score
Im sorry but I have to ask what is an application folder? And I copied something from a website and in pages it showed up as tables but not the same which you ussually get when you create tables yourself. There are more light colored and disappear if you are not writing something inside a column.

Reaction score
Original by Sandra123
Im sorry but I have to ask what is an application folder?
It is on your dock, and in finder in the left hand menu.

And I copied something from a website and in pages it showed up as tables but not the same which you ussually get when you create tables yourself.

That explains it, you have actually copied the entire text box from the web page, and that is why you have this issue.

EDIT:

What I would try is use text edit go back to the web page and then copy and paste into a text edit page.

Reaction score
Hi sandra123,

Am on Mac now so here are some screen shots, the first one shows you were your applications folder is and that it contains your text edit app.

The second is a copy and pasted article that I put into pages and as you see it contains the original articles text box from the web site. The third shot is of the same copied article but in text edit and there is no text box.
As a foot note you only find this happens with the odd site.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 09.27.53.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 09.27.53.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 332
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 09.44.44.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 09.44.44.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 09.45.17.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 09.45.17.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 337

Ask a Question