Can't get wifi dongle to connect to Powerbook G4

Reaction score
Hi,

i'm having problems with my 1Ghz Powerbook G4. We've just got our wireless internet sorted. My Mac doesn't have built in WiFi, so i borrowed my housemates dongle. It works fine on his pc. When i put in in my mac, it recognises the dongle and then comes up with the connection screen. I type in my 10 digit wep key where it says, and then click connect and nothing happens, it just says disconnected on the status, though it recognises the signal etc no problems. The key is DEFINITELY right, but when i go back into it, it has removed the two Zero's that are in the key (the 5th & 9th characters). And no, they aren't supposed to be O's... deffo 0's. If i click on peer-to-peer, it says connected but then says invalid wep key. i don't even know what p2p is but i don't think it's the one im supposed to pick. Can anyone think of anything i can do to get this baby on the interweb. Im just using the ethernet cable atm, but even that doesnt work properly, it only works if you hold the cable up... but i have 2 cables... they're both the same so i presume its the port. Any help and i'll be your bestest friend.

Thanks

Chaz

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Chaz and welcome !

What make and model dongle is it ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

Thanks for the reply. I'll find out the make/model later on, when i get home. It was originally my housemates dads dongle, which he sent to him because it wouldnt work very well with his mac (which just so happens to be identical model & spec). It WOULD connect though, he just had problems with the signal... I get 100% signal but it won't connect.

I'll let you know later the make/model.

Cheers,

Chaz

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

Just had a lookIt's a D-LINK DWL-122,

Does that help at all.

Regards,

Chaz

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

do you know if you have the latest driver for it ?

If not download and install this one.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric! you're a little legend!! all is working fine now! thank you so much. Do you know where i can buy a replacement battery for my mac?? and how much it would cost? when i take the charger out, my battery lasts about 5 mins... I love mac's. If this was a PC it would be long gone!

Love you lots Ric.

Peace,

Chaz. x

Ask a Question