Can't get address book to import my .csv file--nothing happens!!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a brand new Mac owner with a Macbook Pro. I am a many-decade Windows user and decided to make the switch. I am having NO END of problems trying to get everything configured properly.
Right now, I cannot get my PalmOS PDA to work with the Mac. I tried to install the version of Palm Desktop for Mac at Palm's site. However, it won't install properly and there are a ton of messages to that effect on the Palm help forums.
I have given up trying to do this because nothing has worked and it would be cheaper to buy a new PDA than spend more time than I already have.
Anyway, I thought I could do a work around by saving the address book as a .csv file and importing it into Address Book on the Mac. This strikes me as a pretty primitive program. You can't make up your own fields, you have to choose one of theirs...even when you "add field" .
Well, I saved the information using the Palm desktop on a windows XP machine as a csv. I have opened the file in both Neo Office Spreadsheet and Excel for Mac and made sure the field mapping was correct. Then....supposedly all I have to do (according to the Address Book help file) is click on the OK button. Well, I did that using the csv file from each of the applications. Nothing appears in my address book. The only two cards are Mac's and mine! I created a new group and tried to import again. No dice. This import function does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. There is nothing in the help file or FAQ files that tells you what to do if nothing happens after pressing OK.
I am crying tears of frustration.:(

Nothing about this computer or its applications is intuitive. I've read all of the "Mac 101" and "Switch 101" information on the Mac site. Still, the applications on this machine have me stumped. I have had this computer for about a week and a half, so I expect things to get better....but certainly "ease of use" is oversold with respect to the Mac OSX system.

Reaction score
OK, for the record, here is the solution. Although I was SURE that there were no line breaks in the csv file, I decided to take a closer look in "Text Editor" . As I paged through the records, there were indeed TWO extra line breaks. I eliminated those so each record takes exactly one line. I tried the import function again. SUCCESS!:D

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

sorry we didn't get to you sooner !

Thanks for posting your solution, I'm sure it will help someone else !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question