Can't figure out what is wrong

Reaction score
Hi all,
I started having problems with my macbook about two weeks ago when my charger was not being recognized properly (not charging status). I cleaned my computer and the charger and the problem went away (or so I thought). A week later, the charger started acting funny again displaying a barely visible green light when connected and the not charging status. This time it didn't go away. I decided to open up my computer and remove/reconnect the battery to see if that would help. My computer completely shut off and would not run on AC power. It was dead for a couple of days until I realized that the combination of connecting it to AC power without a battery, plugging in the battery, and removing the battery again caused the computer to turn on. If I tried to connect the battery after the computer was back on it would immediately turn off again. Thinking my battery was dead, I ordered a new one. A couple of days ago I installed the new battery and everything was fine at first. Later the same day my macbook began to display the not charging status again. Now it is being even more erratic than it was before bouncing between charging with a orange light (normal), not charging with a bright green light, and not charging with a dim green light. It had reverted to the dim green light for the majority of the day and I just got it to charge for a couple of minutes (accidentally) by turning my bluetooth on and off? I'm so lost. Any help would be appreciated and any additional info will be provided. Thanks.

Reaction score
oh, and it is a white 13-inch macbook late 2009
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
running OS X 10.6.8

Reaction score
Sounds like a hardware problem, you should take it to an AppleCare Service Centre near you.

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly before you spend money see if you can borrow a friends adaptor, it should be a 60W or 85W adapter for a 2009 model. Defiantly do not use a 45W adapter with this Macbook model as it would not provide enough power for the MacBook. If the charging is fine then possibly buying a new charger is the way to go, but if it still has issues follow Kaveman`s advice.

Ask a Question