Can't Erase HD

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm selling my old iMac and am having trouble erasing my HD.

I am starting up with the Leopard install disk while holding down "C"

When I go to disk utilities and select the erase tab and then select my HD on the left,

the volume format and name are dim and not available to select.

Can someone please help with this?

:confused:

Reaction score
I've researched a bit. And it says that after you install your MacOSX disk in the drive you would then double click on the window for "Install Mac OS X". Your trying to erase the hard drive and the only time you can do that is while booting off the cd. You would then do what you did by going to disk utilities and you would double click it. I think this time on your left you'll be able to find your computer in the volumes, images, or the list of disks.From there you'll be able to choose which disk you would want to erase and then just click erase on the right tab in the right pane. You will then view the security options. Make sure you read them carefully. Then click erase to confirm your decision to entirely erase your iMac hard drive. Then you could just quit. Then just reinstall the Mac OS X system software or provide the disk when you give it to the person.

Ask a Question