cannot write in folder /home/

Reaction score
Hello there,
I have a new MacBook since last week and I have encountered a slightly bizarre problem.

First: My Hardware:
brand new MacBook Pro, 13 inch
System: Mac OSX 10.6.3
(I did NOT encounter the same problem when I installed my old Mac (10.4) nearly 3 years ago!)
My login is an admin account.

Second: My problem:
I am trying to create a link called
/home/boris that points to /Users/boris/
to be able to use /home/boris as a shortcut (that many of my scripts do)

The problem is that even using sudo, this doesn't work:

boris@Jelzin:/home> sudo ln -s /Users/boris/ boris
ln: boris: Operation not supported

In fact, if I look at '/' ans using ls -l, I see
dr-xr-xr-x 8 root wheel 7B 31 May 02:01 home

I can change THIS using sudo to be able to write into it, but still it won't work, same message.
I cannot remove the folder ('Resource busy' , although fuser tells me it is not used, also the folder /home/ is completely empty, so it cannot be blocked by anything, really), the only thing in fact that I CAN do with it, is rename/move it (sudo mv /home /home_old). I can then create a new home folder (in which I am allowed to write) and create the link inside. The old folder /home_old is then also blocked from being deleted.

So far, so good.

BUT:
When I restart the computer (not the terminal only!), things change.
My folder /home_old can be deleted using normal rm-rf /home_old (not even sudo!)
But my /home folder is reset. The links inside are GONE!!! and the writing permissions are reset to what I stated above!!

Has anyone encountered the same problem?
How can I solve this? I cannot find any solution on the internet or your (and other) Mac forum.
I have never seen before that as sudo, the system doesn't allow me to do things and if I find a workaround, resets whatever I have done!
I'm a bit puzzled!

Third: Why I need this:
I am using this computer for work and quite some of my scripts have hardwired paths in them. I agree this might not be perfect, but it's the way it is (some things didn't accept ~/ as being the home folder, so I had to write it out). As I have started writing some of them on LINUX, I used /home/boris/ as my home folder and when I run these scripts now, they of course cannot find data, commands,...
I know that changing this path in all scripts is a possibility, but with hundreds of scripts and occasions, it's not a good solution.

I would be happy about any ideas.

Thanks a lot!
Boris

Reaction score
Ok, problem has been solved.

The problem was that Macs automount this folder using:
map auto_home

The solution is to disable the line that mentions /home in the file:
/etc/auto_master (instead of /etc/auto.master as in LINUX)

/home will then be a normal folder and NOT reset on reboot.

more information under:
http://rajeev.name/2007/11/22/autofs-goodness-in-apples-leopard-105-part-i/

and

http://images.apple.com/business/docs/Autofs.pdf

I hope that helps other people with the same problem.

I guess this topic can be closed then ;-)

Cheers,
Boris

Ask a Question