With Disc Utility I cannot perform the "first aid" program for an ex HD

Reaction score
I am using a Macbook Retina (2,3 Ghz Intelcore 17 High Sierra 10.13.3)
My Ext HD (La Cie 1TB about 5 years old) was not showing up om my desktop.
Suddenly it appeared. I started running Disc Utility with "First Aid" : this program works until checking the catalogue file.
(it is running now already a long time and I cannot switch off Disc Utility.
Is my ext HD (used for Time Machine) finished? Or is there something I can do? Good advice is very welcome!

Reaction score
My ex HD La Cie passed away unfortunately. After running Disc Utility the message was : APFS containers (no clue however what this means) are probably damaged. I bought a new one.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if it is just an issue with the way the LaCie was partitioned.

-Did you convert it from HFS+ (Journaled) to APFS when you upgraded to High Sierra, even though Time Machine wasn't supported on APFS drives?
-Do you have any other form of Time Machine or backup?
-LaCie drives are known to act strangely when their AC adapter starts to fail. Any clicking or other issues before it disappeared from the Desktop?

If you already purchased a replacement, you could always see if you can simply erase the older LaCie with Disk Utility, and format it as HFS+ (Journaled).

C

Reaction score
Thx for your support!
I didn't convert it from HFS+ to APFS (it worked OK after upgrading to High Sierra)
I don't have any other form of TM backup (although I have other ex HD's for back ups)
(I installed a new Ex HD for a Time Machine Back up yesterday successfully)
After connecting the "broken" La Cie HD:
message on screen: disk not readable--> disk utility opens--> I read: USB External APFS Physical Storage
I choose "erase" disk--> message: erase proces has failed-->details: (explanation): among others: delete APFS container (at this point I got stuck). I guess the disk is finished. If you don't agree please let me know.

Ask a Question