"Cannot execute binary file" re: plug-in for Audacity

Reaction score
Hi - I get this message when I try to open the Stereo Tools plug-in I got to use in Audacity :

Johns-MacBook-Air:~ johndaviddyck$ /Applications/Audacity/Audacity/plug-ins/stereo_tool_64.vst/Contents\ of\ Stereo\ Tool/MacOS/stereo_tool ; exit;

-bash: /Applications/Audacity/Audacity/plug-ins/stereo_tool_64.vst/Contents of Stereo Tool/MacOS/stereo_tool: cannot execute binary file

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

So, what is the problem here? Can anyone help? Thanks!

Reaction score
We need some information first, before we can help you.

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you using? And, f it's Sierra (OS 10.12.x), how did you upgrade to it?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

4. Are you making backups to an external device?

5. Has this happened before with that software, or is this the first time? Also, do you have the correct version for the Mac OS you are using?

Reaction score
1. Macbook Air 13", mid 2013, 4 GB memory
2. Sierra 10.12.1 , upgraded by download 2 days ago
3. I run Disk Utility every few weeks.
4. I backed up to an external drive just before I upgraded 2 days ago.
5. I've used Audacity before, but never with a VST plug-in. I've downloaded both 64 and 32 bit versions of Stereo Tools 8.14.

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the same exact MacBook Air I have. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with that software, nor that plug-in. Are you having issues with any other software?

Ask a Question