Both FireFox and Safari crashing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Mac OS X (version 10.4.11, 2 GHz Intel Core Duo processor) and have been having so much trouble with my Firefox (version 2.0.0.11) over the past month with having to Force Quit multiple times a day that I just gave up and started using Safari (version 3.0.4).

Problem now is I am having to Force Quit Safari multiple times a day now. It seems to be random -- not dependent on the sites I visit. It just gets stuck.

Any ideas? I've heard Google Toolbar causes problems -- should that be disabled? (If so, how?) Or could it be something totally different?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
If you suspect Google Toolbar is the culprit, sure, try without it. However, since the problem seems to be spreading, I'd first try to run some maintenance programs on your Mac. According to Apple, occasionally the user permissions associated with files or applications become damaged, which can prevent a file or application from working as it should. See this article. So, you might want to try to run Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). Open the application, select the mounted volume for your hard drive and click "repair disk permissions."

Reaction score
1. Try using System-->Utilities-->Disk Utility
then Repair Permissions.

2. Remove these files to desktop: Home-->Library-->Preferences

com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

com.apple.Safari.plist

These should be rebuilt by Safari later.

3. In Safari Menu "Reset Safari". Make sure you have your usernames and passwords in another file.

4. Delete Safari 2.0.4 to trash.

5. Use installation Disk 1 that came with your computer and use "Optional Installs" Select "Safari"

ReStart.

6. Open Safari and download the OS X 10.4.11 update. Forget the fact you already have it. Just do it.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411updateintel.html

7. Install the update.

ReStart.

It should work.

Ask a Question