Big Sur ???

Reaction score
So now apple is pushing us to upgrade to Big Sur (I guess the two weeks are up) So which of the apps I'm currently using won't work with this upgrade (just like happened with Catalina)?

Reaction score
How are Apple 'Pushing' us to upgrade?
I have apps that are 32 bit so I did not upgrade to Catalina and probably will not upgrade to Big Sur until I have replacement apps and I am feeling no pressure from Apple to do so:cool:

Reaction score
Two weeks? Is there now a time limit with Apple to be able to upgrade?

Yes, for the most part it will be the 32-bit apps currently on your machine that will not transfer to Big Sur. That's not to say all 64-bit apps will necessarily work with Big Sur but most will.

Reaction score
I upgraded to Big Sur on a separate drive (500GB) with Windows 10 and I haven't found it to be any better than Catalina, at least for what I do.

Reaction score
Before an upgrade, I always clone my internal boot drive to a partition on an external drive, and upgrade that. You can use this drive until you are satisfied you know how the upgrade will affect your present configuration.

Reaction score
So now apple is pushing us to upgrade to Big Sur (I guess the two weeks are up) So which of the apps I'm currently using won't work with this upgrade (just like happened with Catalina)?
I agree 100 percent! These things always happen with upgrades and it’s stupid! We should I not have to fix our computer every time we upgrade!

Reaction score
Whether we feel we need the upgrades or not it is still a fact that technology either evolves or it dies. The tech companies can't stay in business if obsolescence is eliminated from the equation and people never buy new stuff. People can either gripe about it or embrace change and commit to learning new skills.

Reaction score
If data is backed up before an upgrade then it can be recovered. I don't think the average consumer appreciates what a monumental task it is to build a new version of an operating system. For the parent company to be able to anticipate every quirk of the myriad of consumer system configurations out there is just asking too much. Actually, it is amazing that it all works as well as it does.

And concerning the extinction of 32-bit apps in the last to OS releases, Apple advertised that far ahead of time. That should not have caught people by surprise.

Reaction score
There are actually at least 3 things to consider before making the final "move" to any new Mac OS (including Big Sur):

1. It's a well known fact that the first few non-beta versions of any Mac OS contain bugs/issues.
2. Depending on which third party software one uses, it can take some time for all such programs to be compatible with the new OS.
3. It has been a long, long time since I have seen a version of a new Mac OS that has something "earth shattering" which I must have, and can thus wait.

(Since I already made the move to Catalina, I had no 32-bit applications that I needed to have. Most of them had 64 bit versions available anyway).

For myself, I always plan on making the final move around 3 months after the first non-beta release comes out. The main reason for this is that one of my critical third party applications, Tech Tool Pro, is the last to have an upgrade for compatibility available. But that is fine with me, as I'm in no rush. Also, it typically means that by then, the new OS will have the third release out, and hence just about all the bugs/issues have been addressed.

Right now, I have 4 critical applications that need upgrades: the most obvious one is SuperDuper!, but there is also Onyx, Thunderbird, and as I mentioned above, Tech Tool Pro. In the meantime, Catalina is stable, works flawlessly, and I am happy with it.

I actually plan on testing BIg Sur first on a partition I have on one of my external SSDs, but that will most likely not happen until V11.2 is released. In actuality, V11.1 is scheduled to be released soon.

Reaction score
Hmm, all the replies are interesting but assume everyone using a computer is a genius! I have no idea what partitioning is, internal/external SSD, etc. I don't use my computer professionally, I use it for my pleasure - Ancestry research, photos, movies, email, etc. I guess the folks at apple don't know that probably a majority of users are like me - non-pros??? In regard to saving everything on a back up hard drive - I do that and I also save stuff on Cloud BUT people who have commented on their experience with Big Sur said they tried to recover their data from a backup and Big Sur would not allow it/accept it. I agree that in the beginning there might be bugs, but when I had my system set up for automatic updates/upgrades I got it right away. I've turned that off now so I will decide if and when I'll use Big Sur - at least I could figure that much out. And, like MartyByrde said "It has been a long time since I have seen a version of a new Mac OS that has something "earth shattering which I must have, and can thus wait" Amen to that!!

Reaction score
Before an upgrade, I always clone my internal boot drive to a partition on an external drive, and upgrade that. You can use this drive until you are satisfied you know how the upgrade will affect your present configuration.
I am already (once a week) using SuperDuper! to make 2 backups/clones for each of my Macs to 2 separate partitions on my two external SSDs. For the move to a new Mac OS, here is what I do:

1. Download the latest version of the full installation file for the new Mac OS.
2. Make a copy of it in another location, and then remove the one that is in my Applications folder (why waste space?).
3. Run my SuperDuper! backups/clones.
4. Restart each of my Macs from their respective, just completed SuperDuper! backups.
5. Launch Disk Utility on that backup to Erase and Format the internal SSD on the respective Mac.
6. Navigate to the installer file downloaded in step 1 above, and do a clean, fresh installation of that version of the new Mac OS to the internal SSD.
7. When that completes, one is offered the opportunity to migrate/copy needed files, folders, settings, apps, etc. from 1 of 3 locations: a Time Machine backup, another backup, or another Mac. In my case, I choose another backup and then point to the just completed SuperDuper! one.
8. Restart my Mac. Typically there are a few more setup tasks that need to be done. Also, in my case, I need to 1) install the new, Mac OS specific version of Onyx, and 2) create the eDrive that Tech Tool Pro has.

I have been following that process for at least the last 4 versions of the Mac OS, and it has always worked like a charm! And I wind up with a trouble free environment.

Reaction score
Hmm, all the replies are interesting but assume everyone using a computer is a genius! I have no idea what partitioning is, internal/external SSD, etc. I don't use my computer professionally, I use it for my pleasure - Ancestry research, photos, movies, email, etc. I guess the folks at apple don't know that probably a majority of users are like me - non-pros??? In regard to saving everything on a back up hard drive - I do that and I also save stuff on Cloud BUT people who have commented on their experience with Big Sur said they tried to recover their data from a backup and Big Sur would not allow it/accept it. I agree that in the beginning there might be bugs, but when I had my system set up for automatic updates/upgrades I got it right away. I've turned that off now so I will decide if and when I'll use Big Sur - at least I could figure that much out. And, like MartyByrde said "It has been a long time since I have seen a version of a new Mac OS that has something "earth shattering which I must have, and can thus wait" Amen to that!!
Understand, and thank you for the reference! You are making the wise move by waiting, especially if everything is working fine for you with the version of the Mac OS you have.

Reaction score
Two weeks? Is there now a time limit with Apple to be able to upgrade?

Yes, for the most part it will be the 32-bit apps currently on your machine that will not transfer to Big Sur. That's not to say all 64-bit apps will necessarily work with Big Sur but most will.

Sorry, the "two weeks" crack was a bit of sarcasm about Apple upgrading it seems like every two weeks.

Reaction score

Sounds like this thread has given you an opportunity to learn more about your Mac, John. But it's not about the need to become a computer genius, just to learn some basic to intermediate concepts in order to avoid so much frustration in the future. To draw an analogy, I think everyone who drives a care should have some basic understanding of how one works, mechanically speaking. But they don't have to be able to rebuild an engine.

Reaction score
I am moving country so decided to upgrade to Big Sur while I have a few weeks to sort out problems. These are the few problems I have encountered since Friday 4th Dec.
- Superduper bootable backups don't work with Big Sur yet. (from my limited tech understanding no app can do this currently?)
- Drobo storage didn't work but after a couple of reloads and upgrade to the Drobo Dashboard its working.
- I had to upgrade the Canon MF645C printer drivers this is now fine.
- I had to start a new Time machine back up version/back up disk as the Catalina version would not update.
- I use an app called Bartender which effectively forced me to upgrade to version 4.
No noticeable change in speed faster or slower.
No other problems with apps yet! Very happy Keyboard Maestro and Hazel are working well.
I am sure it depends on each set up I use a 2018 MacbookPro

Reaction score
Sounds like this thread has given you an opportunity to learn more about your Mac, John. But it's not about the need to become a computer genius, just to learn some basic to intermediate concepts in order to avoid so much frustration in the future. To draw an analogy, I think everyone who drives a care should have some basic understanding of how one works, mechanically speaking. But they don't have to be able to rebuild an engine.
Very good analogy about automobiles. I always say that owning and caring for a Mac is the same as owning and caring for an automobile. For an automobile, here are the things I can confidently do:

1. Check and monitor tire pressure.
2. Check the oil.
3. Check the brake fluid.
4. Check the anti-freeze.
5. Change the Cabin Air Filter (one of the easiest things to do).
6. Change the Air filter.
7. Change most fuses.

Not really rocket science, but definitely worthwhile things to do. And of course I keep both of our cars as clean as possible.

For a Mac, there are "similar" tasks. Here are the ones I do:

1. Do as much disk cleanup on my own as possible, including the permanent removal of deleted EMails.
2. Keep up to date with updates for all the third party software I use.
3. Perform "interior" maintenance/repairs of my machines (I use tools like Onyx and Tech Tool Pro to help with that).
4. Make frequent (once a week) SuperDuper! backups.
5. Never, never rush to a new version of the Mac OS. Have a plan for that.

Reaction score
I am moving country so decided to upgrade to Big Sur while I have a few weeks to sort out problems. These are the few problems I have encountered since Friday 4th Dec.
- Superduper bootable backups don't work with Big Sur yet. (from my limited tech understanding no app can do this currently?)
- Drobo storage didn't work but after a couple of reloads and upgrade to the Drobo Dashboard its working.
- I had to upgrade the Canon MF645C printer drivers this is now fine.
- I had to start a new Time machine back up version/back up disk as the Catalina version would not update.
- I use an app called Bartender which effectively forced me to upgrade to version 4.
No noticeable change in speed faster or slower.
No other problems with apps yet! Very happy Keyboard Maestro and Hazel are working well.
I am sure it depends on each set up I use a 2018 MacbookPro
Don't understand why you would upgrade, given that SuperDuper! is not yet compatible with Big Sur. Myself, I have 3 other critical applications that are not compatible.

Carbon Copy Cloner does have a compatible version that works with Intel-based Macs:

That's another issue with Big Sur, ie, different issues with Intel-based Macs versus M1-based Macs. Not an ideal situation.

I know that Dave Nanian of Shirt Pocket Software (developers of SuperDuper!) is not rushing to make a compatible version. For me, that's perfect, as I want a stable compatible version. Glad Dave is taking that approach.

Reaction score
Don't understand why you would upgrade, given that SuperDuper! is not yet compatible with Big Sur. Myself, I have 3 other critical applications that are not compatible.

Carbon Copy Cloner does have a compatible version that works with Intel-based Macs:

That's another issue with Big Sur, ie, different issues with Intel-based Macs versus M1-based Macs. Not an ideal situation.

I know that Dave Nanian of Shirt Pocket Software (developers of SuperDuper!) is not rushing to make a compatible version. For me, that's perfect, as I want a stable compatible version. Glad Dave is taking that approach.

A good question why upgrade at all - well I am moving from Singapore to Malaysia. In Singapore I know where to get good Apple support (if anything happened in Malaysia I don't) this could mean a delay of upgrading for many months possibly a year or more which starts to bring it's own compatibility problems. I alway had the fall-back position of re-installing Catalina. I also have the option to use CCC as I have it installed on my wife's computer + ChronoSync which I have been evaluating as an alternative to Superduper. To be honest I didn't even think that Superduper would have a compatibility issue I don't remember reading about this before upgrading but then that's careless..

I am paranoid about data back up (off-site, cloud many SSD's) way beyond normal behaviour and as the article you mention above says: "Please keep in mind, however, that your CCC backup does not have to be bootable for you to be able to restore data from it"

It's sad we have to endure OS upgrade issues but really I have endured a lot worse than the Catalina to Big Sur upgrade.

Ask a Question