Bad hard drive?

Reaction score
I have a mid 2010 Macbook that won't turn on. I took it to the Apple store, but they were unable to tell me what was wrong. They told me I needed to send it in for repair, but that I should try to get the data off the hard drive first. I took my hard drive out of the computer, and used a SATA cable to try to pull the information off. When I plug the cable in to another computer (a PC), it showed the name of the device, but none of my computer contents came up. Does this mean that my hard drive is bad, or am I having issues because I'm trying to use a PC rather than another Mac?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-When you removed the HD and connected it via an SATA cable, what did you connect it to - a PC you said? Most PCs cannot read a Mac hard drive without additional software.
-Did the SATA cable have a power connection as well as a data connection?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-When you removed the HD and connected it via an SATA cable, what did you connect it to - a PC you said? Most PCs cannot read a Mac hard drive without additional software.
-Did the SATA cable have a power connection as well as a data connection?

C
Yes, it was a PC. Yes, the SATA cable had power. I was able to find the hard drive under the disk maintenance section in the PC, and it said 'healthy (primary partition)', so I'm hoping that means the hard drive is ok. I'm dropping it off at the Apple Store today to be sent in for repairs.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Good luck with the repairs - hope it turns out well for you.

Keep us updated,

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am not very familiar with PCs or their disk utilities, but I would believe that it means that the partition and disk index/catalog/file allocation table seem to be correct. You would need full Mac disk utility apps like DiskWarrior and Drive Genius to perform a directory rebuild and full surface scan to ensure things are totally in good health.

C

Reaction score
I am not very familiar with PCs or their disk utilities, but I would believe that it means that the partition and disk index/catalog/file allocation table seem to be correct. You would need full Mac disk utility apps like DiskWarrior and Drive Genius to perform a directory rebuild and full surface scan to ensure things are totally in good health.

C
Ok. Thank you.

Reaction score
You can also use TechTool Pro to perform the functions Cory mentioned (along with some other useful tasks).

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the advice. I just picked up my MacBook from Apple, and unfortunately it was the hard drive that was bad. They replaced the hard drive and also replaced the logic board, optical drive, battery, memory, MagSafe board, hard drive cable and optical drive cable.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the advice. I just picked up my MacBook from Apple, and unfortunately it was the hard drive that was bad. They replaced the hard drive and also replaced the logic board, optical drive, battery, memory, MagSafe board, hard drive cable and optical drive cable.

Wow, that's almost the entire machine! Must have cost a good amount for all that!

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Wow...more wrong than we had thought.

Apple's flat-rate repairs are such a good deal, even though most would disagree. Normally when they replace those specific parts as a group, it is due to liquid/physical damage, and it would have been $755. It is a bit sad that your Apple Store couldn't give you a better diagnosis.

Sorry you lost the data, but at least the repair is complete and you are up and running.

C

Reaction score
Wow...more wrong than we had thought.

Apple's flat-rate repairs are such a good deal, even though most would disagree. Normally when they replace those specific parts as a group, it is due to liquid/physical damage, and it would have been $755. It is a bit sad that your Apple Store couldn't give you a better diagnosis.

Sorry you lost the data, but at least the repair is complete and you are up and running.

C
I think the flat rate was definitely a good deal. I'm surprised all of those things went bad all at once, but at least they are all fixed before my computer is too old to qualify for the flat rate offer. There was no liquid or physical damage, those aren't included in the flat rate. I suppose this will teach me to be better about backing up my computer in the future.

Ask a Question