Backup to DVD deletes files!

Reaction score
10.4.11, ibook.

I've had this happen several times, once I lost a lot of files, but this time I was forwarned and caught it.

Doing a backup to a DVD-R, by dragging folders to the DVD icon. This creates alias's on the DVD. Fine. But I exceeded the capacity of the DVD, so I had to remove some alias's.

Surprise! Move the alias to the trash, and the original also is moved to the trash!!!! Actually I moved 2 alias's to the trash. One was OK, just an alias. The second had all of the files in it.

Great backup mechanism.

I had to move the alias out of the trash. Opened it and it had the original files in it.

What is going on? Now that I have confirmed the problem, I can be careful... but... I could forget... I'm not as young as I used to be (First mac was a 512k)

HELP.

PS, last time this occurred was years ago with a much earlier version of 10.4. I had been careful not to try to backup too much to avoid this problem, but over the years I forgot.... and it's still there.

I suspect this is a OSX bug that nobody noticed! can anyone confirm? But it doesn't happen every time, so it depends on something I don't understand. Anybody have a path to Apple without paying?

Reaction score
10.4.11, ibook.

I've had this happen several times, once I lost a lot of files, but this time I was forwarned and caught it.

Doing a backup to a DVD-R, by dragging folders to the DVD icon. This creates alias's on the DVD. Fine. But I exceeded the capacity of the DVD, so I had to remove some alias's.

Surprise! Move the alias to the trash, and the original also is moved to the trash!!!! Actually I moved 2 alias's to the trash. One was OK, just an alias. The second had all of the files in it.

Great backup mechanism.

I had to move the alias out of the trash. Opened it and it had the original files in it.

What is going on? Now that I have confirmed the problem, I can be careful... but... I could forget... I'm not as young as I used to be (First mac was a 512k)

HELP.

PS, last time this occurred was years ago with a much earlier version of 10.4. I had been careful not to try to backup too much to avoid this problem, but over the years I forgot.... and it's still there.

I suspect this is a OSX bug that nobody noticed! can anyone confirm? But it doesn't happen every time, so it depends on something I don't understand. Anybody have a path to Apple without paying?
Hi Bill, if you're not too crazy about using that method, another option would be to create a disc image of your folder using Disk Utility and burn it to a disc.

Ask a Question