dvd backup software

Reaction score
hi all, i am trying to find software that is as good as dvd shrink, or dvd fab decrypter on a mac.

i have 2 kids, and they are slowly but surely destroying their fav disks, 5 copies of nemo, 3 of the little princess, 4 of nija turtles etc, i have converted to mac for obvious reasons, but am finding it hard to get a backup prog that removes the CSS from my dvds. i hav looked on the web but i keep hearing 'law suit this' for popcorn and another prog. i am happy to purchase a prog that is going to backup my dvds so the kids can keep watching them and i don't keep forking out $25 a pop.

if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

cheers

Bret

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
hi all, i am trying to find software that is as good as dvd shrink, or dvd fab decrypter on a mac.

i have 2 kids, and they are slowly but surely destroying their fav disks, 5 copies of nemo, 3 of the little princess, 4 of nija turtles etc, i have converted to mac for obvious reasons, but am finding it hard to get a backup prog that removes the CSS from my dvds. i hav looked on the web but i keep hearing 'law suit this' for popcorn and another prog. i am happy to purchase a prog that is going to backup my dvds so the kids can keep watching them and i don't keep forking out $25 a pop.

if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

cheers

Bret

Hi Bret,

To create backups of your personal DVD library you should try out HandBrake or MacTheRipper ... both are freebies, or you could pay for Roxio's Toast 8.

I also came across Xilisoft DVD Copy for Mac, but haven't tried it out so I can't really comment on its capabilities.

HandBrake & Toast 8 are Universal apps (PPC/Intel) and MacTheRipper although is not yet Universal, should still run fine on an Intel Mac AFAIK.

Here's a good HandBrake Tutorial.

How to rip and compress DVDs in Mac OS X

MacTheRipper Video Tutorial

All will allow you to back up those DVDs that you purchased for archival purposes ...

Reaction score
Hello, At the moment we are a bit limited on dvd rippers for the Mac. I can only think of three- Fast DVD Copy, FairMount and MacTheRipper.
Fast DVD Copy rips, compresses and burns dvd's but it costs around a hundred bucks, has bad reviews, and doesn't effectively deal with the encryption on many of the newer dvd's.
FairMount isn't a ripper in the true sense of the word, however, it forwards data to VLC Player to accomplish the decryption. So, in order to use FairMount, you need VLC Player. Both FairMount and VLC Player are free!
MacTheRipper pretty much just rips bit it does it very well. You might run into some problems ripping some of the newer dvd's with MacTheRipper 2.6.6 but there are new beta releases of MTR for Power PC's and Intel Macs that deal with these issues. I encourage you to donate and get the newest beta.
http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3960
As for compression and, or burning apps, you might want to take a gander at these-
1.Toast Titanium.
2.DVDRemaster.
3.Dragon Burn.
4.DVD2OneX2.
The more tools in your arsenal. the better.:wink:

Ask a Question