Backup Drive Fails

Reaction score
I have a Seagate 1 TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive that I use for a back up drive, it is partitioned for backing up different hard disks.

One of the partitions, which was receiving regular backups with no problems from a Macbook Pro via the 'DataBackup' Software program, became full and so I erased it. Since I did that, any attempt to back up to it fails immediately, the backups are set to occur on a schedule that happens three times a week or I can start a 'Back Up Now' at any time that I want.

The partition in question is formatted Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ) as it was when working and as are all other backup partitions.

The MBPro that is being backed up is a Mid 2009 2.53 ghz Intel 2 core duo running EL Capitan OS 10.11.6

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give with this matter.

Reaction score
See if Disk Utility can do anything with that partition. You should be able to, via Disk Utility, first try and repair that partition. If no "serious" errors occur, and Disk Utility can repair the partition, then Erase and Format it.

Reaction score
Thanks honestone for taking the time to reply.

I tried Disk Utility and it says that the partition is good. I was looking to reformat the partition but couldn't find how so maybe it's it just a case of 'Erasing' in order to reformat ... thanks again!

Reaction score
Yes, when you choose Erase in Disk Utility, a smaller window pops up, asking you to name it, choose the Format, and choose the Scheme.

Reaction score
You're most welcome! Glad you got it resolved.

I also have an external device (actually 2 Samsung 512 gig 850 Pro SSDs), and like you, I have each of them partitioned. Two of the partitions on each are for my SuperDuper! backups for my late 2012 Mac Mini and my mid 2017 13" MacBook Air. I actually let SuperDuper! first erase the prior backup on each partition (done the previous week; I back up weekly), and knock on wood, no issues with that process. Given that I am backing up my OS 10.13.x "system, each of those partitions are formatted as APFS. The remaining partition on each drive contains miscellaneous "stuff" (old Tax Returns, Movies, TV Series, Photos, etc.), and it is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Last edited:

Ask a Question