SOLVED Backup and iCloud drive

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a macbook pro running Catalina 10.15.5 OS.

I used to backup to an external hard drive using Time Machine. The drive failed a while ago, and I haven't replaced it. The memory requirement for my document files is fairly modest (<30GB) and they are effectively backed up by being on my iCloud drive. So I'm thinking that that is sufficient. If my mac goes down or is stolen I can recover my files easily enough, I believe ...

But maybe I don't understand iCloud well enough. Am I missing something?

As an ancillary, but different, question, can I access my files through iCloud.com from another (mac) computer? How is this set up?

Thanks.
Chris

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, if this is checked and the files in your Desktop and Documents folders are syncing to iCloud Drive, you are pretty safe:

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 11.04.12.png

I like to have multiple backup copies of many of my files, so I have some in iCloud Drive and on a Time Machine RAID drive.

You can login to icloud.com in a web browser and access your files from any computer, then make sure you logout when you are finished. I wouldn't sign into iCloud in System Preferences on a computer that you don't own for safety/security of your data. Depending on the file format, you may need to download them to edit, but any created with applications like Pages and Numbers can be edited with the cloud version of those applications.

Set up iCloud Drive

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question