iPhone won't backup

Reaction score
I have made several attempts to backup my phone but each time it has failed. I connected the phone to power and started the backup process but it would never complete. Last time I tried it failed when indicating there were 13 hours to go to completion. As a result I am getting reminders: "Your phone hads not been backed up for three weeks." The ios is version 13.5.1 2.6 GB of 5 GB has been used in iCloud. 1.6 GB used by iPad, 665 MB by the phone.

Reaction score
Hi,

Last time I tried it failed when indicating there were 13 hours to go to completion.

Defiantly something was not good, have you tried backing the phone up to your Mac?
This is the location as my screen shot shows.
Users/[USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 21.50.17.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 21.50.17.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 150
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the screen shot but I haven't a clue where to start. I just do not understand it at all.

Defiantly something was not good, have you tried backing the phone up to your Mac?
Hi,

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the screen shot but I haven't a clue where to start. I just do not understand it at all.

No problem, basically there are two main ways of backing up your iPhone. But I would go for Mac backup as you are getting close to your 5GB limit unless you pay for a little more.;)

(1) iCloud
This can be done via the phone while on wiFi or iTunes.

Lets go with the phone first, make sure the phone is connected to WiFi then open settings - iCloud - there you will see a section called apps using iCloud scroll down to iCloud backup and make sure it is on and click it, you will then get a backup screen which shows the last time the phone was backed up and also gives you the option to backup. As my first three screen shots.

(2) iTunes

Just open iTunes and connect you phone, then once it shows up choose backup to you Mac as my last screen shot.

Hope this helps and let us know how things go.

Attachments

• phone1.jpg
    phone1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 142
  • phone2.jpg
    phone2.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 133
  • phone3.jpg
    phone3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 127
  • itunes.jpg
    itunes.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Reaction score
Found iCloud eventually but it was not where an Internet search said it was on iPhone7, or where your screen shot showed, it was positioned under my name: "Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store." I eventually found "iCloud Backup", clicked on it and the screen that came up did not indicate the last time the phone was backed up. No option to backup. What was there was an option to "Cancel Backup". It was trying to backup and showing 3 hours remaining. What I don't understand is that at the same time if I go back to the main screen that I see when first opening my phone is that the Settings icon has the red "1" showing that my phone needs to be backed up.

So I went to iTunes. No one can tell me iTunes is user friendly, it's just the opposite. I clicked on File/Devices, and the box that comes up is listed: Sync, Transfer Purchases, Backup, Restore From Backup--ALL ARE GREYED OUT. I'm still at square one.

Reaction score
Hi,

What I don't understand is that at the same time if I go back to the main screen that I see when first opening my phone is that the Settings icon has the red "1" showing that my phone needs to be backed up.

I have never seen this red indication for updates only new iOS versions.

Something has defiantly got stuck and slowed everything down, in your first post you said that the backup had 13 hours to run, now it is down to 3 hours so something is going on. possibly wait and see if it does complete, also sometimes bad WiFi networks (fluctuations in signal) can produce this effect.

I once fried a iPhone 6s during an iOS update, which was due to an intermittent WiFi issue, took it into Apple but they could not regenerate it.:(

Reaction score
Hi,

I have never seen this red indication for updates only new iOS versions.

Something has defiantly got stuck and slowed everything down, in your first post you said that the backup had 13 hours to run, now it is down to 3 hours so something is going on. possibly wait and see if it does complete, also sometimes bad WiFi networks (fluctuations in signal) can produce this effect.

I once fried a iPhone 6s during an iOS update, which was due to an intermittent WiFi issue, took it into Apple but they could not regenerate it.:(

If I leave it backing up it now just stops after a short time altogether.

Reaction score
Hi,

Am a little baffled,have you done a hard reset?

1. Hold down the Volume Down button on the left side of the device and the Sleep/Wake button on the right side of the device at the same time.
  2. Now, hold the buttons for approximately 10 seconds until the screen goes dark and an Apple logo appears on the screen.

3. Release the buttons and wait while you iPhone restarts.

Ask a Question