iPhone 7 won't sync with iTunes

Reaction score
I have activated my iphone 7 today, and iTunes will not sync. Doesn't recognize the device. I'm running Lion 10.7.5 on my desktop, and iTunes version 12.2.25. I had no problems syncing my iphone 6 with my desktop. I'm trying to get the info from my iphone 6 to my iphone 7, and syncing with iTunes seemed the easiest way. It's the way I've always transferred info in the past.

I get this message: "iTunes could not connect to the iPhone “Janis’s iPhone” because an invalid response was received from the device." I tried the cord that worked with my iphone 6, I've tried the cord that came with my iphone 7. I've plugged them in and out of all the USB ports, directly in the back of my computer. I've turned the phone on/off, quit and restarted iTunes, as well as restarted the computer. iTunes and Mac are both updated with the most recent software. At least that's what my Mac is telling me.

Not sure what to do now. I just tried syncing my iphone 6 just now and it worked perfectly, like it always had.

I successfully transferred contacts and pictures using the AT&T transfer app. However, I need to restore all my other apps and settings

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The iPhone 7 requires OS X Mavericks 10.9 or later and iTunes 12.5 or later. It is simply not compatible with your current OS X and iTunes versions.

Unfortunately, you will need to upgrade if you Mac supports them. If not, you will need to purchase a newer Mac.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

Thats odd as i thought a 6 or 6plus needed 12.3.2, but hay we learn new things every day.

But regarding your 7 have you tried a hard rest?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I just discovered that upgrading to iOS10 while running an unsupported mac (late 2006 iMac) that cannot be upgraded & cannot run the necessary iTunes version that syncs with iOS10 so no more iTunes syncing ... instead I use Dropbox & a 3rd party app that has an inbuilt media player with support for numerous cloud services, as well as other nifty functions!

Bluetooth may be an option between devices but my Bluetooth is broken on my iMac so I can't check.

Documents by Readdle

Reaction score
Hi,

Hard Reset as follows, but as has been said you have a OS X / software compatibility issue.

1:
Press and hold the Lock/Wake button on the right side of your iPhone.

2: At the same time, press and hold down the Volume Down button on the left side while keeping the Lock/Wake button pressed.

3: Keep holding both the buttons until the screen turns black and then switches back on to display the Apple Logo.

4: Wait for a couple of seconds until your iPhone boots up completely and displays the Lock screen.

Is there a work-around if I don't choose to purchase a NEW MAC???
What year and model is your Mac?

Reaction score
So I have decided to MANUALLY transfer iCal info to iCloud.com calendar. After less than a month's worth of events had been entered in to iCloud.com calendar, I get this message: "ical can't create event because of server error." Any idea how I can get all my events to sync on all my devices, without getting a new computer, as some have suggested?

Reaction score
Hi,

Need to know about your Mac, model and year as just upgrading the OS X might well solve all your problems.

Reaction score
I'm running Lion 10.7.5 on my desktop, and iTunes version 12.2.25. Purchased in 2009.

Reaction score
Is there a reliable app that will sync my calendars from iphone 7 to desktop iCal and vice versa?

Reaction score
Hi,

Turn on all iCloud options that you want to sync as my screen shot. You can sync calendars Pages Numbers etc with your Mac wirelessly from any location, and all your event information is stored on the iCloud Web server, so it will be pushed to your iPhone iPad or Mac and visa versa through Wi-Fi or cellular data.

But just for iCal click the Apple menu icon on your system toolbar and select "System Preferences or click the SP icon in the dock." Choose "iCloud" and sign in to your account. Check the box next to Calendars.
Remember to do the same with your phone and iPad.;)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 20.30.23.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 20.30.23.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 429
Reaction score
Hi,

Turn on all iCloud options that you want to sync as my screen shot. You can sync calendars Pages Numbers etc with your Mac wirelessly from any location, and all your event information is stored on the iCloud Web server, so it will be pushed to your iPhone iPad or Mac and visa versa through Wi-Fi or cellular data.

But just for iCal click the Apple menu icon on your system toolbar and select "System Preferences or click the SP icon in the dock." Choose "iCloud" and sign in to your account. Check the box next to Calendars.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Yes! I was working on the iCloud option, which I've never fully used in the past. Your explanation helped me tweak it to the right configuration. I think I got it, hoping it continues to work. It has so far with tests I've done.Thanks so much!!!

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Do I have to stay signed in to iCloud for it to continue to sync? Is sync the same as back-up? I've always had macs, but I'm kind of new to iCloud. Everything seems to be syncing well as of this morning, but I'm not sure if I should stay signed in, or sign out after I've finished with the setting up process. Also I get the message that I don't have enough space to back up. I'm a little confused.

Ask a Question