Apple ROM on-board the CD unit

Reaction score
I'm updating a recent post of mine.
I have a PowerMac G4 Digital Audio 733MHz, the dvd writer has just kaput so I need a need a new one. To replace it like for like (Pioneer 16x4x16 DVD RW+/- internal) means spending in excess of £100 I can only find one place that sells them and they are not dual layered. Other DVD internal writers seem much cheaper. Am I risking problems with buying another model. I assumed that as long as it's IDE it would be ok.
I've heard of booting problems, do I need the official mac recommended? I've heard that unless there is an Apple ROM on-board the CD unit, the computer cannot be booted from the CD, and the unit will not integrate with Finder burning and Apple software like iDVD.

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Regards

Geoff

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You shouldn't need a drive that has the Apple firmware in it. There are many drives on the market from third-party vendors, internal and external, that have the ability to boot a Mac and can support Apple Disc Burning with simple software drivers.

LaCie sells some really good ones.

C

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but how do I tell which ones are suitable.
Bit thick I'm afraid

Ask a Question