Apple HomeKit devices, routers, security

Reaction score
Apple HomeKit devices, routers, security,
I would like to get some Apple HomeKit devices such as smart plugs but concerned about all of them stating you’re required to create an account. This means you give them personal information access to your home net work and always asked to connect to all the devices connected to the net work which is simply mine in your personal data. All over a simple power outlet you want to turn on and off some Christmas lights.
I have an airport extreme and suspect it’s time to replace this but it works just fine with my security cameras and everything, however I suspect time to replace, yes?
Any advice on a safe router to connect to my AT&T router which I use only as a modem as working with it firewall for creating 10 holes for my security camera is a nightmare. Is there a router out there that will be Apple HomeKit compatible but also easy to configure like the airport extreme for allowing pinholes for your security cameras and your HomeKit devices which will probably automatically be allowed through the firewall.
Suggestions on HomeKit devices that are safe from app developers prying unethical maneuvers pacifically power outlets. I see a set of three at Costco for $20 that say Apple HomeKit compatible but also says add an account must be created to use the app. Are there any that you can use by just interacting with the device and not through an account?
Best, Seth

Reaction score
Every IoT device I have has required an account. I agree it seems unnecessary. Most IoT devices can be reached from the Internet because they maintain a connection to some server somewhere that the company making the devices is hosting. Alexa (echo) devices are an example of this.

I agree it is ridiculous that these devices require an account but the reality is they all do because people want to be able to reach their devices and do things when they are not home. Cameras can be an exception, as you stated, but you then have to create a firewall rule to be able to reach back into your network to view what they have collected. If you have a NAS you can configure the cameras to record to the NAS and then maybe use a VPN to access the NAS from the internet. That would probably be the most secure way I can think of.

Reaction score
Every IoT device I have has required an account. I agree it seems unnecessary. Most IoT devices can be reached from the Internet because they maintain a connection to some server somewhere that the company making the devices is hosting. Alexa (echo) devices are an example of this.

I agree it is ridiculous that these devices require an account but the reality is they all do because people want to be able to reach their devices and do things when they are not home. Cameras can be an exception, as you stated, but you then have to create a firewall rule to be able to reach back into your network to view what they have collected. If you have a NAS you can configure the cameras to record to the NAS and then maybe use a VPN to access the NAS from the internet. That would probably be the most secure way I can think of.

Reaction score
Maw_ Walker,
Thank you for clearing up what I suspected to be the situation concerning such devices. I was hoping there were some Apple specific devices that kept your personal data secure without having to use a third-party app which I have had a few nightmares dealing with on the App Store, using unethical subscription practices without telling you anything at all what they’re up to. Then later you find out you’ve been charged monthly for sometime without authorizing anything. Anytime you create an account with those apps your subject to such unethical behavior that has become rampant on all platforms. In fact I was reading there may be some congressional action taking this up and create legislation to control this craziness. Once you not have to search layer after layer after layer to find it there is a default button that’s turned on that says yes you can share my data and sell it. That is such nonsense. A lot of my friends including myself are doing our best to delete all such accounts we didn’t even think about in the beginning when it started with Facebook, Instagram, etc. I still use Twitter because, well heck, I have some fun there now and then and folks can be funny and enjoyable . You can privatize some white there, but not too anywhere near satisfaction.
I would think someone would come up with a solution to place all these different apps within an app to prevent them from mining your personal information, just like Apple has implemented private relay, privatizing your email address. I truly hope that this turns out to be a real deal in the right direction.
I had to go through great lengths to disconnect my LG TV that nearly demanded you agree to 12 different agreements to make all their functions work. I just completely disconnected it from the Internet and Wi-Fi and only connect it to my Apple 4K TV using it as a monitor. The LG TV does not like it and senses what’s going on and every now and then that agreement thing will pop up demanding that I agree to it and I have to do a sneaky maneuver to get rid of the screen and get back to the Apple TV menu or app layout.
That will be the last LG TV that I purchase.
Thanks so much for your input. Much appreciated. Best, Zephar

Reaction score

maw_walker,
Yet, one connects with Security Cameras directly by creating a pinhole through the firewall of the router. One ought to be able to directly connect with these devices knowing their MAC address/identification and remote IP address, yes? Completely bypass the account they want you to create? Perhaps someone here or yourself knows how this might be accomplished? This would be quite a feat and much sought after app if made available. Best, Zephar

Reaction score
Mine can’t do that because of the ones I bought (blink). Some cameras can but I would be leery about opening up a firewall rule to access them unless you are going through a VPN. It is easy for cyber criminals to find cameras available on the internet.

Reaction score
Would be very boring. Looking at once on the balcony.
Ja Ja ja!!!
But you’re right, VPN.

Ask a Question