SOLVED Using non-Apple wireless mouse, Ethernet, with new iMac M1 (base model)

Reaction score
Hello, Mac helpers!

I just ordered the new iMac M1 (base model), and have three questions for those already familiar with it:
1. I am used to using 2 Logitech mini mouses with my old 2013 iMac, as they are lightweight and easy to manipulate. Will they work with the new iMac?
2. This model does not have the Ethernet socket in the power brick. Do I need a separate Ethernet add-on or will it connect wirelessly (I have a wireless router)?
3. Obliged to use Microsoft Office for compatibility with other PC users. I have the Office for Mac 2016. Will it work on the new iMac, or will I need to upgrade?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Reaction score
I just bought my wife a new 2021 24" iMac M1 and she uses a generic bluetooth mouse and it works fine. As for wireless, my wife's hooks to our wireless router just fine. As a matter of fact it is the newest WiFi6 technology so is as fast as wired. I can't speak to Office as I don't own it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Agreed about the Logitech - should work, and the Wi-Fi should work just fine.

Office for Mac 2016 is end of life as of October 2020 and is no longer supported. I have read that it won't install and/or activate on M1 Macs.

It would probably be best to purchase an upgrade if you want to use Microsoft Office. Or, you can use Apple's office suite of Pages/Numbers/Keynote, which are Word/Excel/PowerPoint respectively, and are free and pre-installed.

C

Reaction score
I just bought my wife a new 2021 24" iMac M1 and she uses a generic bluetooth mouse and it works fine. As for wireless, my wife's hooks to our wireless router just fine. As a matter of fact it is the newest WiFi6 technology so is as fast as wired. I can't speak to Office as I don't own it.
Thank you maw_walker and Cory Coope r for your replies! I do use Apple's office suite, but many of the people I work with use PC's, so I am obliged to get Microsoft Office. I do suspect, though, that the old 2016 (not upgradeable) version will pose a problem. They are supposed to bring out a new 2021 version this year. (I am waiting impatiently to get my new iMac!)

Ask a Question