All folders in usb turn into a lnk file

Reaction score
Hi, i encounter this problem just now, i can't access to my sub drive.
My usb does not show up under devices when i want to select,
and I can only access through desktop with the external drive pop up.

All my files inside usb turned into a single lnk file.
Is there any solution or steps i can follow to get back my file???

I don't understand why it become like this, but the files contained is important to me.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about your mention that "All your files turned into a single .ink file"

.ink is a Microsoft Windows shortcut extension … are the files from a PC?

Firstly, what type of files are they? Documents, Images etc?

You could try changing the file extension to whatever it should be … for example .jpg, .pdf etc. If this doesn't work try the following:

Open up the drive in Finder & in the upper right Search Field place your mouse cursor in it & press the Space Bar. This will then display the Search options. Make sure that the Search location is the USB drive & not "This Mac". Next, click on the + button at the far right, next to "Save". A new section appears where you'll see "Kind" is "Any". Click on "Any" & select whatever your files ought to be, say, Image, Document, PDF or whatever … if there is a mix you may need to try this a few times …

Let us know if your files show up.

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about your mention that "All your files turned into a single .ink file"

You could try changing the file extension to whatever it should be … for example .jpg, .pdf etc. If this doesn't work try the following:

Open up the drive in Finder & in the upper right Search Field place your mouse cursor in it & press the Space Bar. This will then display the Search options. Make sure that the Search location is the USB drive & not "This Mac". Next, click on the + button at the far right, next to "Save". A new section appears where you'll see "Kind" is "Any". Click on "Any" & select whatever your files ought to be, say, Image, Document, PDF or whatever … if there is a mix you may need to try this a few times …

Hi ! I used to have a few folders in my pendrive, which is under FAT format, can be supported both windows and mac computer.
All my folders basically contain .jpg, .excel, .docx ...etc, folders/ files were created on my mac.

all these folders turned into one .lnk after i sent my pendrive to do some printing,
and I can't open the .lnk with both mac and window.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-14 at 16.21.45.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-14 at 16.21.45.png
    8 KB · Views: 788

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try my previous advice regarding how to manually search for your files & report back, you'll need to perform a search for each file type changing "Any" to whichever file type you know should be there, you never know your luck

Reaction score

Try my previous advice regarding how to manually search for your files & report back, you'll need to perform a search for each file type changing "Any" to whichever file type you know should be there, you never know your luck

Hi, Spawn!
I tried your advice, and it works !!!
Thank you so much for your time and effort to reply this, i really appreciate it.

Is there any solution to prevent this to happen again ??

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Glad to help out :)

You wrote it happened after you sent your pen drive to do some printing … did somebody else use your pen drive to do this? Is this the first time it's happened? Do you frequently work between Mac OS X & Windows with this pen drive? It might not happen again, it's difficult to say … I would make sure you have a back up of anything you put on your pen drive just in case.

I did find this:

Restore missing files on USB and solve shortcut link file virus on Windows and MacOS

I suggest reformatting the pen drive again.

Reaction score
Glad to help out :)

You wrote it happened after you sent your pen drive to do some printing … did somebody else use your pen drive to do this? Is this the first time it's happened? Do you frequently work between Mac OS X & Windows with this pen drive? It might not happen again, it's difficult to say … I would make sure you have a back up of anything you put on your pen drive just in case.

I did find this:

Restore missing files on USB and solve shortcut link file virus on Windows and MacOS

I suggest reformatting the pen drive again.

Is the first time. I work quite frequent between mac and windows.
Once again thanks for your advise, i just reformat the pendrive.

Ask a Question