Airport internet connection

Reaction score
A week ago I had a liquid incident (coffee meets keyboard) with my MacBook Air. A visit to my local Mac repair shop determined that the mother-card had not been affected, and by means of replacing the keyboard normal servce was resumed. Except for one thing: internet connection is now dreadful. I can't work out what the problem is.

Internet connection has not broken down completely. Occasionally it connects with tbe base station (a Livebox; I live in France) and establishes a connection; more often it does not. However it will establish wifi connections in public places such as cafés or my local Mac repair shop - a little laboriously, but it does connect.

At home, however, it's a dead loss. I've tried everything. I've rung the local ISP amd they're adamant there's nothing wrong with their service. I've deconnected and reconnected the base station several times. But almost every time, although the base station signal is received, the Airport utility failes to establish a connection with the requested website. And the odd thing is, this malfunction appears to affect the other computers that use the same base station. I have a new iMac (on which I'm writing this) and my wife has a MacBook Pro. Internet connection on both these devices is pretty well faultless. Except when the MacBook Air is switched on and the Airport utility is attempting to establish an internet connection. In that case, even the other computers fail, or are barely able, to connect with the internet.

I've opened the Airport utility on the MacBook Air and I have the latest version, it seems (v. 6.3.5). However I'e noted that even when the computer is receiving the base station signal, the colour indicated underneath the Network symbol in the AirPort utility window remains (most of the time) at orange, rather than green indicating internet connection. Fow what it's worth, I today upgraded from OS X 10.10.2 to OS X 10. 10.3, following advice from my local Mac repairer, but that does not seem to have made any difference.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Hi. Hey I am by no means an expert here, I am new in fact to this forum with my own problem lol, but I will try to help.

I have worked extensively on electronic equipment at a bench level. I have never however taken apart a laptop, but I have repaired lots of TV's, dvd players, etc.

That being said, the electronics are obviously packed tight in a laptop. ( the wonders of modern engineering and Moore's law) But here is one thing I know for sure.... moisture can make some serious buggaboos. And if you had sugar in that coffee.... all the worse. There is no telling what a machine will do. I have seen TV's people would swear were possed bt satan only to find one board with moisture on it.

I am new to Macs and I don't know your model, but some older (windows) laptops have access panels in the bottom to get at the network card. Knowing how things are though, Apple probably doesn't have one. But you can check.

The good news here is it works some of the time. The part about it screwing up your other computers.... like I said, moisture does funny things. Unique funny things. This is definitely a moisture problem IMO.

Sooooo ..... my answer.... (I reeeally hope you didn't have sugar in your coffee), unplug it, let it sit a while,.... heck even in front of a fan for a day or so, directing the air at any vents the thing may have, and pray lol. You might get lucky.

Aside from that, .... I hate to say....is to take it apart (probably next to impossible I know) ....and find whatever board has the coffee on it. Anything put together can be taken apart, but laptops even intimidate me.

Good luck to ya and lemmee know whats up. Peace. Viva la France.

Ask a Question