airport express wrong IP address

Reaction score
hi,
i recently bought the airport express (802.11n with airtunes). I connected as instructed. I wanted to create a new wifi network, but before it ended setting it up it says it has the wrong IP address. it is something like XX.XX.XX.
It is not my own house so i cant really go around moving cables. i just connected the ethernet cable i usually connect to my macbook. and after tracking down the cables i discover there is not an actual modem. there is a weird thing, a ethernet cable comes out to a blue thing and then upstairs there is another blue thing and from there comes out the ethernet cable i connected to my airport express. do i have to set my airport express diferently?

Thank you guys

Reaction score
there is this big thing, and out of there comes out tv, phone and and an ethernet cable. that ethernet cable goes to a blue thing that transmit to another blue thing.
from there another ethernet cable goes to a switch and then to my macbook or in this case to my airport express.

Reaction score
Christ, who designed your network, quarky? anyway, can you get me the names of the blue thing that transmits and the blue thing that receives? There has to be a router in there somewhere... Name brand and model of that, and post the info you have input for your airport. My guess is that it's not set up with the proper network information (Netmask, gateway, network address, subnet, etc)

Reaction score
the brand of the blue things is ALLNET model : ALL 168205 Ethernet Bridge
and the switch is vivanco : AUTO MDI/MDIX 5 Ports 10/1000Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch

Reaction score
alright, an airport needs some for of router/layer 3 switch/gateway to work. You have none of these. Where are you that you don't have a modem or router, a school/dorm/workplace?

Reaction score
my host parents house, the ethernet cable comes directly into my room. is't any other way to connect it and create a wireless network?
and how would I create a network in a hotel? where one only has the ethernet cable?

Reaction score
what's the model of airport you have?

You see, I'm not 100% sure that you can, it's not possible to run a bridge from a bridge without some kind of intermediary device. A router for instance, or any gateway at all. You need something to create a network, some form of layer 3 device (gateway, router, etc), something to dish out IP addresses/network info (Router, server, system with DHCP server installed).

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible, but if you can get me the IP info you are getting when you are directly connected, the name of the ISP and the type of service you are recieving (cable, DSL, Dial, ISDN, T1, etc) it may be possible to concoct some kind of solution.

Reaction score
the model is A1264 airport express. is it the latest?
and i have no idea of the service i have and the IP I get when i create the network is some kind of 10.0.0.1...

Reaction score
All an airport is, is a glorified wireless access point. It has no REAL routing ability, it's completely reliant on the network device it's connected to, and right now all it's being feed is raw data. It can't route it because it has to routes to look at, nothing to tell it where to send anything. You need an intermediary device to facilitate the flow of data.

It would be able to facilitate the flow of data from your mac to another, but that would be useless to you. It can't route to the internet unless you turned your mac into a router, which would not be something you would want to do even if you had the skills to do it.

You need a router. Doesn't necessarily have to be wireless, but if you are going to get a router, you might as well go wireless and forget about the airport.

Ask a Question