Airport Express & SB5100 cable modem woes

Reaction score
Hi all - first time poster and first time Mac user. We just purchased a MacBook a couple days ago and got an Airport Express today. My cable modem is an SB5100 and my ISP is Comcast. I was hoping the AE setup would have been easier, but I'm having no luck with it. I can hook the MB up to the modem via Ethernet and get online. However, no dice when following the setup instructions to get the AE working correctly - I can never get past the blinking amber light. I can't set it up as the base station.

I've tried the factory reset with no results. Reset the modem - still no results. Extensive Googling on the subject showed folks going to the Airport Admin Utility, but if I can't set my AE up as a base station, it won't show up in the utility.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Eric and welcome,

try resetting it again and then plug the ethernet cable between the AE and the Mac...this should allow the Mac to see the AE...and then we can configure it...

Let us know if it shows up in Airport Admin...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks, Ric. I got everything up and running wirelessly - but without security. It seems that when I set it up for WPA, I lost connectivity (though the light on the AE stayed steady green). I've since removed security just so I can have access, but this isn't the state I want to be in for the long term. Thoughts on why I seem to lose everything once WPA is activated?

Reaction score
Airport Express & SB5100 cable modem

Hi

I use an airport at home with a DSL modem no problem. I am at my mom's and she has SB5100 cable modem and I can't get it to work.

The airport only has one slot for the <...> hook up. When I plug it in I get the steady green, but my computer (Apple Powerbook G4) keeps saying it is looking for the PPOE

Mom's got a Dell computer. I am not very network literate so please don't be too jargony. Thank you for any help

Ask a Question