Airport express printing - DRIVER!

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, I hope someone can help.
I have posted this same Q on macworld but no one there is answering...

I have had printing working on 2 other printers with my airport express, so I do know how to use it... BUT
my new printer is a Canon LBP5050N and it works just great over USB, I had to download the driver off the Canon website to get it working.

However, the Driver is not there to use when I go to set up this printer in the Printers window, although it is detected just fine when plugged into the airport.

It's just the driver is not available, it can't DL it from apple either!

I really want this to work!!

help please!

thanks

Reaction score
I'm guessing what you mean here.

Start by restarting your AirPort BaseStation.

So if you plug it in via USB, your Mac can see the Printer and after downloading and installing the Driver from Canon prints.

But when you plug it into the AirPort Express, via USB, the Mac can no longer see it in the Printers List?

Reaction score
thank you for your reply Kaveman,

my MacBook can see the printer fine when it is plugged into my airport express, but to set it up I need to select the driver for it as a new printer because it is on the airport, even though I already have the same printer set up to use with USB just fine.

but when i go to select the driver for it when it is in airport, the driver is not there.
I have already downloaded it from the cannon web site and it works fine on usb, but the Mac does not make the driver available for me to select again through the airport printer set up.

Reaction score
There are a couple of things to try.

1. Make sure your AirPort BaseStation in up to date, using AirPort Utility.
2. Delete the Printer that you setup when it was plugged in direct.

From the Spec's it says it has Ethernet Sharing, sometimes printers which share via ethernet (or WiFi) do not also share via network USB.

Can you go back to where you purchased it and confirm it prints via Airport Sharing?

Ask a Question