airport and a switch from DSL to cable

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm not savvy at all and need some help.

I just switched from DSL to cable and I can't get my airport to work. Do I have to re-setup my airport? If so is there anything I need to know about going through the setup?

Or should it be fine and since it's not working then the problem is that the airport unit is failing? Is there a way to verify this?

Many thanks!
dana

Reaction score
Check the manual, look for the router model online, ask your cable supplier.

Reaction score
i just got hooked up for cable/internet/phone and the guy was trying to help me re-enable my Airport so i doubt the router has wifi -- he would've just set that up, yes? so what do you know about Airport? if i had DSL before will there be a problem now that i have cable/broadband? i've had this Airport thing (base?) for about 5 years -- could it just give out in that amount of time?

Reaction score
If you have an AirPort Basestation is it plugged into the router, via enthernet?

Reaction score
each time i've tried to use the wireless, the cord is plugged into the phone jack-like thing in the wall (the correct one -- the cable guy told me so (the phone is in the other)) on one end and into the Airport square on the other. i get the green light on the square and then turn my Airport icon On and try to connect to the web and just keep getting fails. right now i have the one end of the cord/cable plugged straight into my laptop and the Airport icon is Off.

Reaction score
Ok, if theres a green light on your BaseStation then that's good.

On you Mac unplug the ethernet cable.
Under the Wifi/AirPort Menu, ensure you Network has a tick beside it. If not chose it from the list and enter your BaseStation Password.

Reaction score
okay, i did that. but i have a correction to make: the cord from the wall jack is plugged into my modem and then there's a phone-like (but bigger) cord/cable from the modem into either my laptop or the Airport box. Sorry.
Anyway, i selected my network like you said then plugged the ethernet into the Airport box, restarted my modem, got a green light, switched to Airport and lost my internet connection. i'm plugged back into my laptop again. what's next? what should i have done?

Reaction score
1. Get the Green light
2. Unplug the Mac from the Router
3. AirPort Menu, Select your BaseStation should be showing in the Menu and enter the Password if it has one.

Reaction score
I can't get the green light until I have the cable plugged into the Airport (instead of my Mac). When i've done that and turned on the Airport with my network, i lose connection. What would cause that? Everything is going great, i have a green light and my Airport goes on and then nothing. why?

Reaction score
I can't get the green light until I have the cable plugged into the Airport (instead of my Mac).
Correct Good, this is right!!!

turned on the Airport with my network
What do you mean by this?
On the MenuBar there is a set of radiating bars, this is the AirPort Menu, this is where you turn on the WiFi Card AND SELECT YOUR WIFI NETWORK!!! You have to do both!
Turn it on, then select your WiFi BaseStation from further down the Menu, Ensure it has a Tick beside it, If it has a padlock/password, then it will ask you, enter the password. It will not work until you have done this.

If you don't do that then you won't get the Internet, you can get the internet until you have both turned on your WiFi Card and Connected to the base station by selecting it from the menu!!!

Reaction score
i have done that each time (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I turn On the Airport with the icon and select my network (this is what i meant by "turned on the Airport with my network) and it asks for my password which i enter. however I DO NOT GET A CONNECTION WITH THESE STEPS. i keep telling you this. do you understand? THERE IS A PROBLEM which is what i'm seeking help with. i'm not asking how to start using it. i'm asking if the fails are due to a change in the type of internet connection or if my Airport box could be bad. as i said, i've had the Airport for about 5 years but now it won't work. i need and appreciate your help but we've got to move past the start up!

Ask a Question