Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 Printing issue...

Reaction score
Hi you guys..... I am using Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 with a HP Officejet 7110 (4-cartridge printer).

I recently, started to experience some bad looking printouts from my HP printer. I am attaching a screen shot of my Print dialogue in Illustrator for you to look at. This is the "Color Management" dialog. Do I have the correct settings for my HP printer? Also, are there other settings that would alter the color/look of my prints? The prints are coming out "Muddy" looking not like I am viewing on my monitor.

Let me know...

Reesche

Attachments

• Print Dialogue-Color Mgt.png
    Print Dialogue-Color Mgt.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 175
Reaction score
Attached are screen shot of the file as it appears on my screen...... and a scan of the printed file on my printer.

Document Color Mode only gives CMYK and RGB. I tried both and they still do not look like the screen representation.

Please note how the color management dialog in Illustrator is set up...See first attachment.

Thank you for looking at this..... I am a retired Art Director and I used FreeHand for 30 years until Adobe got rid of it. So Illustator is kind of a bugger for me. This printing issue just came up recently and I can't figure out what changed.

Reesche

Reaction score
SCREEN - How it looks on my monitor....

Attachments

• SCREEN View.png
    SCREEN View.png
    443.2 KB · Views: 204

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Since you are a retired Art Director, you know that the color printing process is a very complicated animal, and the slightest thing can throw it off. To get close color accuracy between monitor and printer, a full system calibration is a must. Of course, a hardware solution is best, but than can run hundreds to thousands of dollars for the right equipment to calibrate a monitor (transmissive) and a printer (reflective) with a colorimeter, IT8 targets, color calibration software, etc. Canned ICC profiles can be useful and close enough for non-professional work.

I too have gone down the Adobe road of confusion. Things are dialed in and all of the sudden...what happened? It is nearly impossible to diagnose or recommend color settings without having hands-on access.

A few articles that may help:
-An introduction to color management: how to use color management in Adobe Photoshop CC for predictable results
-Print with color management

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of macOS?
-In  > System Preferences... > Displays > Color which profile is selected?
-Do you have the HP printer ICC profiles installed and available in Printer Profile: in your Print dialog screenshot?

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory...good to hear from you again!

Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
Mac OS High Sierra

Color Profile: Acer G276HL-1 (This is my latest calibration from my SpyderX Pro Color Calibrator) This is also available in my Illustrator Print Color Management area.

Yes... But what is the tricolor? And I am just using regular bright white paper.
HP Officejet n7110 Series Advanced Photo Media (Tricolor)
HP Officejet n7110 Series Glossy Brochure Media (Tricolor)

Ok.... I just tried printing this same file out using the Acer G276HL-1 Color Management in Illustrator in the print dialogue... it looks way better! So if I start the color management with the SpyderX Pro..... I need to follow the screen calibration all the way through the printing process?

• See the new attachment Illustrator Color Management Settings. Notice I am using the Acer G276HL-1 Printer Profile. Which Rendering Intent should I be using?

I tried another with the screen shot settings... they look a lot better!

Let me know Cory....
Reesche

Attachments

• Illustrator Color Management Settings.png
    Illustrator Color Management Settings.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 205

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
And you as well Reesche. ;)

Acer G276HL-1
It should be set in the Displays > Color > Display profile: section. It should be the profile you made with the Spyder. You shouldn't use it for the printer in the Printer Profile section of the Illustrator Print dialog.

I would try the following in the Print dialog:
Color Handling: see if you can change it to the printer
Printer Profile: The two you mentioned are more for photo printing on specific paper. What other settings are there?
Rendering Intent: I believe Perceptual is the most compatible

UNDERSTANDING RENDERING INTENTS

C

Reaction score
My available Illustrator Printer Profiles ..... Cory... see the 4 different screen shots attached. Let me know. Reesche

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 2.png
    2.png
    41 KB · Views: 188
  • 3.png
    3.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 4.png
    4.png