Adding Profile Picture to Apple Messages V6.1

Reaction score
Not a serious issue for me in the greater scheme of things, but I am becoming a bit irritated at myself for being unable to import a profile picture into Messages.
I use Mac OSX 10.7.3 - Messages is running using iCloud, and I use Safari 5.1.3.

There is an option under Messages to Change picture, and I have set a picture of me in the frame but it does not load into the Message screen, nor is it received when I send a Message.

I am now wondering if I have I got this back to front. Do other people who receive my Messages select the picture they wish to use for me? Do I have to go into the buddy list, select a buddy and choose a picture for that person, not see the one they have chosen for themselves.

Please don't laugh at me if I'm being a bit thick, it's old age catching up with me.

Thanks in advance
Carol

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I take it by messages you mean Mac Mail.app email messages?

Try adding that photo of you to your Address Book card and that should hopefully solve things. You should already have an Address Book entry created for you but if not you can just add one.

If you want to see photo's of your friends showing up in Mac Mail just add a photo you like to their Address Book cards and relaunch Mail.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
It the same for Messages and iChat, the pictures come from your AddressBook.

Reaction score
Many many thanks, Spawn and Dooley. I didn't have a photo of myself in my Address Book so I have added it now. I have also added photos of family members to my Address Book, I will find out whether I get photos on Messages when I next send/receive an Instant Message.

I love this forum, I just wish I knew a bit more and was able to help with answers sometimes instead of doing all the asking. Keep up the good work all you clever Guys, you are needed and appreciated.

Carol

Ask a Question