Adapting a USB Thumb Drive via HDMI to a Smart TV

Reaction score
Hi,

In the event that neither the TV nor FiOS set top box read content like movie files from a USB thumb drive, what kind of USB to HDMI adapter might be wise to buy?

Would something like this work?

Juuuuust wondering.

Thank you. 8^)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I doubt that the FIOS box will have the USB port enabled for accessing video files. Some smart TVs do have the ability to read media from a USB drive, but they need a software media player to access and process media from an external device. I don't think that adapter would do anything at all, since is isn't a media player.

What brand/model is the TV?

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi again, Cory!

Yeah,...nothings across the board as I checked today. The FiOS STB has a USB port in the front & back, but apparently they're just there for charging purposes, which is kind of bizarre.

The LG television set has a USB port in the back marked 'Service', but I'm not sure what that's about—but I didn't mess with it. We just got a new Samsung one as well, which isn't even hooked up yet.

I'll have to look into media players I guess; this is all alien to me.

Okay, thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

STBs normally don't allow user access to USB and other data ports, to prevent exporting DVR videos and such. Many smart TVs allow connection of USB storage devices to play audio/video/photo files, because they have a software media player built-in. My LG OLED C9 does, although I haven't used it. I do a lot of streaming with my Apple TV 4K, direct from the tv app , and using the Computers app to stream iTunes from two Macs in my home. It streams audio and video flawlessly from them.

Let me know the models of the LG and Samsung, and I would be happy to see what capabilities they have.

C

Reaction score
The LG television's model number is 42LC7D, by the way. I just tried to plug the a USB storage device into its "Service" USB port & it didn't even have the input channel to read it.

I'm debating if the laptop would act as an A/V output via RCA with something like this or it would just be a waste of money. The seller hasn't gotten back to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-RCA-to-U...975283&hash=item48cc247482:g:DRkAAOSwhcZd~Ybe

Thanks either way. If you don't know & I find out, I'll share my findings.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

It looks like neither of those TVs support media playback from a USB device. Both seem to have USB ports that are for service or firmware updates.

That eBay cable won't work either, as USB isn't used as video out on Macs. That type of cable is designed to connect to a camcorder with the RCA connectors, and input into a computer via USB.

Depending on the Mac's model, you may be able to use a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and HDMI to use the TV as a second display for you Mac, and show videos that way. Or, you could AirPlay from Apple devices to an Apple TV connected to your TV.

Hope that helps,

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

That won't work with your USB flash drive to play media on the TVs. You need some other way to play the files that can output to the HDMI inputs on your TV.

I took a look again, and are these the TVs you have:
LG 42LC7D 42" LCD TV overview
Samsung LN40B550 40" LCD TV - Full HD or Samsung LN52B550 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV

-Your Mac is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009), correct?
-What kind of movie files are you trying to play from the USB flash drive?
-What is the source of the movies files?

C

Reaction score
Hi there,

Yeah, probably not. I made sure I'm able to return them if not — worth a shot.

Yes, it is.

I created .mkv, .mov and .mp4 files that I can easily play from my laptop to my TV, but a USB storage device would just make it slightly more convenient than worrying about making sure the laptop is charged and has a place to rest, etc. Not really the biggest deal either way — but I appreciate your help all through this!

Reaction score
The good news: now that I got a new universal remote control I was able to access the USB media player section.

The bad news: it reads ... basically zero movie file types, despite what Samsung says.

Oh well. It was cool to at least see that it can read USBs.

Ask a Question