SOLVED Can I add USB ports to a Mac Mini?

Reaction score
My A1347 Mac Mini has 4 USB ports. I need 5 (keyboard, wireless mouse, speakers, printer, and external Time Machine HD) and I'm tired of switching out my printer or speakers when I need the 5th. I could avoid that by buying a keyboard that the mouse plugs into, but I just bought a new keyboard (unfortunately and surprisingly without that option) and am reluctant to buy a replacement so soon.

I've seen devices than seem to add 4 ports to 1 port (like a Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UM43). But they also seem more like charging stations (I'm not great on hardware specs), so I'm unsure if they do what I hope. Does the 1 port to 4 ports actually add 3 more usable ports? Are there limitations? Is there a power supply problem? Would I overload the Mac Mini?

1 to 4 port? Or another cheap Walmart keyboard that accepts the wireless mouse plugin?

Reaction score
I've been using two of the dyconn USB 3.0 power hubs on my mac Mini for at least a few years for exactly the same purpose. It's important that the hub be independently powered like these are because some devices will not function properly on a passive hub. These are not charging devices but may provide the same same charging facility as an onboard USB port for such devices s iPhones, etc.
http://www.dyconn.com/index.php?opt...flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=139&Itemid=84

Reaction score
So, PROBABLY I can buy a multiplug USB plug-in (and of course it is my problem if anything goes wrong). And I KNOW I can buy a new keyboard with a mouse port. INTERESTING choice. I think the slight annoyances of the Macally keyboard outweigh the concerns about the multiport.

I can always use the Macally keyboard for replacement pop-off keys. Off I go to Walmart for the more familiar mouse-plug-in keyboard allowing the 4 USB ports. Thanks. I needed that to organize my thoughts.

Ask a Question