Access Password Rejected

Reaction score
I am writing this on a Windows machine, but my own machines is a MacBook running OS10 (I think). I can log on and use the Guest account, but when I seek to use my own account, my password is not accepted. The password is correct - I have it written down somewhere. What can I do about this?

Reaction score
can you as a guest create a new user and make as admin. then you can log on as the user a fix all up.

Reaction score
can you as a guest create a new user and make as admin. then you can log on as the user a fix all up.
Thanks nevw. No, the guest user can use the internet, but do nothing else.
The problem has changed now. I said that it was my computer, but it is actually my wife's. Trying to reboot it from the hard disk, she finished up with a totally blank screen, and the machine cannot be switched off either.
If it was a Windows machine, I would depower it completely and remove the battery. Then after a few minutes, re-install the battery, power it up, and let it reboot from scratch. You can't remove the battery from a Mac, however. I suppose the equivalent would be to let the battery go totally flat, which will presumably take a few days, and then apply external power and see if it boots up.
I would appreciate any better suggestions though.

Reaction score
Hey, one easy way to quickly reset the password without needing to actually put the password in is...
1. Turn Off your mac
2. hold the power button on with command r, until the apple logo shows
3. up the top go to utilities --> then go terminal
4. type ' resetpassword '
5. A tab/box will appear and you can get rid of the terminal window, choose the account you want to reset the password on and type your new password in.
6. click 'OK' then restart your mac (without holding command r)
7. Login to your account like normal

Hope it helped ;)

Reaction score
Hi,

This will be a little long winded but here goes, as you know every Mac has a main user account which is called the root account and it is the system account that’s used to launch the essential background services required for your Mac to operate.
While this account is generally hidden and inaccessible, you can quickly get to it for its administrative capabilities by booting your Mac into single-user mode.

To do this you need to know the name of the account for which you would like to reset the password, and then perform the following steps.

1) Restart your Mac and hold down Command-S at the boot chimes.

2) When you see the command prompt, enter the following command to put the boot drive into read and write mode:

mount -uw /

3) Now run the following command to load Open Directory (Apple’s account directory service in OS X):

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist

4) Reset the password for your user account by entering the following command (replace “username” with the short name of the desired account)

passwd username

Just my thoughts;)

Reaction score
Hi,

This will be a little long winded but here goes, as you know every Mac has a main user account which is called the root account and it is the system account that’s used to launch the essential background services required for your Mac to operate.
While this account is generally hidden and inaccessible, you can quickly get to it for its administrative capabilities by booting your Mac into single-user mode.

To do this you need to know the name of the account for which you would like to reset the password, and then perform the following steps.

1) Restart your Mac and hold down Command-S at the boot chimes.

2) When you see the command prompt, enter the following command to put the boot drive into read and write mode:

mount -uw /

3) Now run the following command to load Open Directory (Apple’s account directory service in OS X):

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist

4) Reset the password for your user account by entering the following command (replace “username” with the short name of the desired account)

passwd username

Just my thoughts;)
Many thanks oldscribe.
Very Helpful

Ask a Question