How to create admin access wihout password access

Reaction score
HI All

My son's school required he have a MacBook Air. It was our understanding parents would have a user account created for them as an administrator however the school has locked it all down.

While requiring us to use manage the internet filtering but this is not possible to do without admin access.

I have read a number of sites that say to do the following:

1. Boot into Single User Mode ⌘ + S.
  2. Mount the drive by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  3. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  4. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  5. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

When I get to step 3 and press enter I am asked for a Y/N answer. If I say yes what I want to know is by me creating an admin account this way - will it in any way effect the current users - being my sons user account and the school's network administrator.

Advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

We cannot instruct you on how to bypass the Mac's security, as that is a breach of the policies of school's IT department. Your best bet would be to contact the school's IT department and explain the situation. If they were to provide you with an admin account, they can set that up for you.

Do not follow those instructions, as it could disable any current accounts, you could lose access to their data, and possibly violate the school's IT policies.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

We cannot instruct you on how to bypass the Mac's security, as that is a breach of the policies of school's IT department. Your best bet would be to contact the school's IT department and explain the situation. If they were to provide you with an admin account, they can set that up for you.

Do not follow those instructions, as it could disable any current accounts, you could lose access to their data, and possibly violate the school's IT policies.

C

Thanks this is the response I needed - so I can take it to the school and make them understand why we need an admin account created for parents - in regards to their policies they are making them up on the run

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

They should understand your position and help you out.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

C

Ask a Question