SOLVED Ableton Macbook overlays

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, they are thin, rubber keyboard overlays with labels for Ableton Live functions. It makes it easier to use the keyboard combinations for Ableton Live.

Do you use Ableton Live?

C

Reaction score
I wrote to Mark Brown, Company Director, Editors Keys in Manchester, England who market the Abelton range:

Could you ask someone to please list the features & benefits, for word processing, not video/audio editing of Abelton overlays?
I have mild arthritis and find my typing is very inaccurate owing to poor finger-tip sensations meaning I get frequent mis-types, unnecessary capitalisation, cursor jumping across lines, both up and down, and other frustrating errors.
I use a 13-inch MacBook Pro with touch bar, macOSCatalina, 10.15.4, late 2016. Occasionally, I run an iMac, 21.5 inch, mid-2011 with wireless keyboard; High Sierra 10.13.6. Generally I write on MacOS Pages.

This was his response:

I hope you're well. The Abelton keyboards are designed for music production specifically for the Abelton software, so there is no benefit to having the cover just for word processing.

They do soften the feel of the keys of course which may help, but they are really designed for editing AV rather than to improve typing.

Hope this helps.

Wasn't the answer I had hoped for but still very interesting. I might look for a plug-in keyboard for my Macs. Perhaps one with PC-style large keys. Are there any with Thunderbolt 3 plugs?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ahhh...I understand what you were looking for. The Ableton wouldn't make sense for your application, as it is application-specific.

I have a slight touch of arthritis myself, but nothing like you are experiencing. Honestly, I am not sure there are any with USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) connectors, but a USB-C to USB adapter would make most of them compatible.

Maybe some of these assistive devices would be worth considering:
Keyboards for People with Disabilities
Adaptive Keyboards

Not meant to offend, but some listed are for tactile issues.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question