21.5 Mid 2011

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I by no means am a computer wiz, but I do dabble a little. My question, I have a 21.5 Mid 2011 desktop. Running High Sierra and has a 2.5 gig Intel I5 and 32GB 1333 ddr3 memory. How do I upgrade it to run newwer OS's and be more compatable with newer programs and is it worth the time, expense and effort? would it be cheaper to just replace it. The computer has been great and still operates will. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Your iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) is maxed out as it is - 32 GB RAM and macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. There aren't any official upgrades that you can do to move to a newer version of macOS. There are some software "hacks" that may allow you to install a newer macOS, but the hardware will limit the ability to take advantage of all of the features, so I personally don't recommend that.

So basically, you would need to replace it going forward for compatibility.

Hope that helps!

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory
Thank you for your reply. That was pretty much what I was thinking. It's too bad, it's been a really good computer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, it still is a good computer, however it will start losing access to websites and newer software versions as time passes. I still use a few older Macs from 2009-2015 for certain things. ;)

Be well,

C.

Ask a Question