2013 Macbook Pro won't boot after OS update

Reaction score
I have an older Macbook Pro, A1398 EMC2673 (2013) Core i7 which seemed to be working fine. Because I'm an idiot, I downloaded an update to the OS and installed it before I did a backup. Now it won't boot.

I can turn it on and get to the login screen. I put in my password and the status bar only makes it about 1/2 way before it shuts down. I've reset the NVRAM using the command, option P+R and pressed shift during boot up to try to get it into safe mode. When booting in safe mode, the status bar gets all the way to the right, then freezes, not allowing me to access anything in safe mode.

I don't recall if I was running Sierra, High Sierra, or Big Sir, I just recall trying to update. I do have a new 14" Macbook Pro on order, but trying to get this one going to use while I wait. Any suggestions on the next steps are appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.

First thought would be that the disk may be full, which can prevent the Mac from starting up in regular or safe mode.

Do you happen to have external drive that you ca startup from?

C

Reaction score
I have an older Macbook Pro, A1398 EMC2673 (2013) Core i7 which seemed to be working fine. Because I'm an idiot, I downloaded an update to the OS and installed it before I did a backup. Now it won't boot.

I can turn it on and get to the login screen. I put in my password and the status bar only makes it about 1/2 way before it shuts down. I've reset the NVRAM using the command, option P+R and pressed shift during boot up to try to get it into safe mode. When booting in safe mode, the status bar gets all the way to the right, then freezes, not allowing me to access anything in safe mode.

I don't recall if I was running Sierra, High Sierra, or Big Sir, I just recall trying to update. I do have a new 14" Macbook Pro on order, but trying to get this one going to use while I wait. Any suggestions on the next steps are appreciated.
Did you try resetting the SMC? If I remember right (I don’t have my 2013 MBP anymore), what you need to do is shut down the MBP. Press control-option-shift (left side of keyboard) simultaneously with your left hand and then, still holding down the keys, press the power button for about 10 seconds. Release, and press the power button again to start.

I loved my 2013 MBP, by the way.

If the SMC reset didn’t work, next thing I would suggest is to reinstall in Recovery mode. (Power up holding down command-R.) If you feel like it, run Disk Utility First Aid on the drive. The 2013 MBP is capable of running up to macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina).

Ask a Question