128gb Ram on imac 2019

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to this forum so apologies in advance if this has been asked but I couldn't find it in a search. I currently have a 2019 iMac i5 with 64gb RAM. I know it can take 128gb despite what Apple say on the specs. I primarily use this for photo editing along with 2 x Pegasus R6 drives. The drive speeds are awesome so no issues there. When I'm multitasking with Lightroom, Photoshop and Luminar Neo the system slows and I get the spinning wheel. Has anyone tried increasing the RAM to 128 to see if this speeds things up? I use mainly raw files. System is always cleaned up, system junk, DNS cache, RAM processes etc but it doesn't make any difference. Using Atom to test, while processing the system uses almost all of its current 64gb. Thoughts and experiences welcome. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to this forum so apologies in advance if this has been asked but I couldn't find it in a search. I currently have a 2019 iMac i5 with 64gb RAM. I know it can take 128gb despite what Apple say on the specs. I primarily use this for photo editing along with 2 x Pegasus R6 drives. The drive speeds are awesome so no issues there. When I'm multitasking with Lightroom, Photoshop and Luminar Neo the system slows and I get the spinning wheel. Has anyone tried increasing the RAM to 128 to see if this speeds things up? I use mainly raw files. System is always cleaned up, system junk, DNS cache, RAM processes etc but it doesn't make any difference. Using Atom to test, while processing the system uses almost all of its current 64gb. Thoughts and experiences welcome. Thanks in advance.
If your 2019 iMac is the 27" model, it can be upgraded to 128 gibibytes. The 21.5" can only go up to 64. The best resource for memory upgrades that I can think of is OWC (macsales.com). They have good warranties and support, including detailed how-to videos.

Ask a Question