IMac - new SSD/RAM but have black screen and no OS

Reaction score
(iMac Late 2013 - 21.5" 2638) I have had a lengthy repair starting with trying to upgrade to a SSD and upgrade the RAM; I purchased both from iFixit.com. Unit starts up; i.e. I can hear the fan spinning and after several seconds I hear a start-up chime, but the screen stays black; no apple logo. I have checked and the LED lights on the motherboard are all lit (except for the top / 4th one). I think this is happening because there's no OS installed on the new SSD, but I don't think I can do the internet OS install as I have a wireless keyboard / mouse that aren't paired to the computer yet which I think you use to initiate the OS download process. Thanks for any guidance!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds to me like there may be something may have not been reconnected properly during the repair - possibly the display power and/or data cable. You would get an image on the display without having macOS installed.
  • Have you checked and double-checked all of the internal connections?
  • Do the fans spin up to maximum RPMs?
  • Do you happen to have an external display you can connect and test for an image?
C

Reaction score
Cory - thank you. I do not have an external monitor but I did check the cables / connections. Fan does end up spinning to max pretty quickly. I can try to find some new LCD cables and see if that is the issue.

Reaction score
if there is no Os installed you would still get the 'Floppy disk' icon with the question mark asking for a system disk, may be a video ram problem.

Reaction score
Have you put a system disc in the disc drive and booted holding the 'C' key down. You need to get a system that the Mac can recognise so that yo can format the new SSD.

Ask a Question