2013 iMac and SSD

Reaction score
I have a 2013 21.5" iMac with the 1TB Fusion drive. It has the 128gb blade. I added 16gb ram and stuck in a PNY 500gb SSD to replace the old 1tb mechanical drive. I have tried this different ways with the same result. I use Super Duper and clone the original drive to the SSD, also did a fresh install of Catalina on the SSD and did a fresh install of Catalina and put it in the USB3 external enclosure to boot. Any way above has the same crappy Blackmagic results which is right at the same speeds at the old 1tb mechanical drive. like 250MB/s write and 300-500 in Read. I tried a Silicon power SSD and same result.

i can tell at boot up that it boots up faster but normal imac activites seems sluggish and slow. thoughts?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Those speeds look pretty normal to me at first glance. There several variables that affect read/write transfer speed, including drive type, internal/external connection type, file size, allocation block size, bus speed, etc.

Your iMac's internal 6.0 Gbps Serial ATA (SATA) connection will never come close to the speed of the newer Macs, which have 8.0 GT/s PCIe x4 or 8.0 GT/s NVMe PCIe x4 connections for the flash storage.

-What kind of speeds were you expecting?
-Did you "rebuild" the Fusion Drive when you replaced the 7200 rpm with the SSD, or leave them as two separate drives?
-Are you running any utilities like MacKeeper or antivirus?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What kind of speeds were you expecting?
-Did you "rebuild" the Fusion Drive when you replaced the 7200 rpm with the SSD, or leave them as two separate drives?
-Are you running any utilities like MacKeeper or antivirus?

C

what kinda speeds? well I was hoping the advertised speed of the SSD which was 500 read and write. I didn't rebuild the fusion drive cause I couldn't find any information on what actually to do besides swap out the mechanical drive for the SSD. I am not running any program like mackeeper and any antivirus.

I figured swapping the hdd for an SSD was like another computer and having instant speed gains.

Ask a Question