Repairer wants to charge £150 to open & close my IMac 2013 to investigate power loss problem

Reaction score
My lmac 27” died on me could not switch back on. Due to the age of the machine was advised by Apple Support to take to a 3rd Party repair shop.
Living near Sheffield I took the machine to a unit in the town centre and was informed by the owner/manager after leaving the computer with him that there would be an up front cost of £150 to cover diagnostic and open and closure fee as on past experience he incurs a 1 in 5 screen breakage !
The following day I received a message stating that a new power supply module was needed, this had been ordered for arrival early next week. This means my likely bill will be initial £150 plus part and labour cost.
Spoke to a senior staff member at the Apple Shop at Meadowhall in Sheffield on Friday about the situation with potential screen breakages and he was astonished about this claim of 1 in 5 breakages. He told me that he had been their Repair Department Manager for 5 years and as I had purchased the machine from them in January 2013 he checked my model and serial number from their records .
In doing this he showed me an “ IFix video” covering the screen removal from my model which seemed very straight forward by skilled technicians.
I’m telling you all this as I feel I am being hoodwinked - should I just pay up to safeguard the return of my computer then afterwards give the repairer a bad review, any advice the forum could give me would be appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I agree - 1 in 5 screen breakage is ridiculous. Sounds like he may not actually be Apple Certified. The breakage rate should be more like 1 in hundreds/thousands at the very least. You shouldn't have to bear the cost upfront of their lack of skill/training. And, if any reputable vendor did break the display glass, it's really on them and not you.

Shops do charge diagnostic fees, but normally they apply that to any repairs once a repair is deemed necessary.

I would definitely do a bit of research with other companies in your area.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I agree - 1 in 5 screen breakage is ridiculous. Sounds like he may not actually be Apple Certified. The breakage rate should be more like 1 in hundreds/thousands at the very least. You shouldn't have to bear the cost upfront of their lack of skill/training. And, if any reputable vendor did break the display glass, it's really on them and not you.

Shops do charge diagnostic fees, but normally they apply that to any repairs once a repair is deemed necessary.

I would definitely do a bit of research with other companies in your area.

C
Thanks Cory,
Since told by this repairer that it was not the power module but a fault on the logic board. He said this part to replace would cost £450 plus the £150 standard charge !
I had obtained a verbal quote to change the power module of £155 total from another repairer. Now decided to collect my IMac today and on recommendation take it elsewhere for inspection and a thorough diagnosis.
If it turns out that the logic board does need replacing is this worthwhile doing on a January 2013 machine ? Or should I consider buying a replacement?
This sequence of events has caused me a lot of stress. Some day one might be able to easily obtain listings for certified Apple Approved Third Party Repairers to counter the cowboys.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

It really depends on your budget and needs. The repair would be about a third of the price of a new iMac. Repairing is a good way to save money, albeit on a 6 year old iMac. You would get a few years out of the repaired iMac, but it will soon be vintage and unrepairable.

You can find Apple Authorized Service Providers in your area:
How To Find Apple Authorized Service Providers

It takes several clicks, and you need to make sure you are in the proper country. Apple does keep the list reasonably current.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question